brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Camus Celebrity: Nick Woodman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

San Diego’s beautiful outdoors calls for documentation. What better way to capture your adventures then by using a Go Pro? Nick Woodman is a UCSD alum and the founder of GoPro.

His inspiration for the GoPro sparked while on hiatus in Australia and Indonesia on a surf trip, he used a 35mm camera attached to the palm of his hand by a rubber band to try and capture his surfing activities on film. Seeing that amateur photographers like him – who wanted to capture quality action photos of their activities – had difficulties because either they could not get close enough to the action or were unable to purchase quality equipment at affordable prices. In 2004, he made his first big sale when a Japanese company ordered 100 cameras at a sports show.[ Thereafter, sales doubled every year,and in 2012, GoPro sold 2.3 million cameras. 

Woodman graduated from UCSD in 1997 with a B.A. in visual arts and a minor in creative writing. He is an inspiration to us all, so keep up all the hard work Tritons!

UCSD '16 Political Science- American Politics Major