Campus Cutie: Emery Jones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Name: Emery Jones

Major: Political Science/Public Law

Year: Senior

Hometown: San Clemente, California

Relationship Status: Taken!

What has it been like being a transfer to UCSD?

It’s been really great! Parts of it have been hard because everyone already has their own friend group, but transferring from a community college was a great money saving experience for me though. UCSD is unique as it has a transfer community within the Village so that made me feel a lot more welcome and made it easier to meet people. It’s a different experience because there are a lot of events there and it is easier than being pushed into a dorm with a freshman. 

What has been the hardest part?

The hardest part for me was adjusting from a community college to a four year university. I have been independent for a while so it was a bit different for me to live on campus with new people. However I ended up getting along really well with other transfers and it proved to be a great experience. 

What has been your favorite thing so far about UCSD?

The classes definitely; I’ve been able to expand my knowledge on a subject that I love.  Also as a participant in UCDC I was able to study and work in our Nation’s Capital. I interned on Capital Hill in a California Congressman’s office. It’s so wonderful that the UC System has a program like UCDC and other programs like it. It was a wonderful experience to be able to work in what can be my future field while also making a difference. 

After graduating from UCSD what are your plans?

I plan on taking a year off and saving some money. I want to apply to a job on Capital Hill or at a nonprofit in California. After getting some work experience, I plan on going for my masters or law degree. 

Favorite food?

I absolutely love Mexican food! However being a vegetarian it makes it a little difficult, but it’s allowed me to get creative in the kitchen when it comes to Mexican. 

Favorite band?

Jack Johnson.

What are three words that best describe you?

Caring, Passionate, and Motivated!

If you could visit any place in the world where would it be? Why?

Paris. I absolutely love chocolate croissants and a good cappuccino. I don’t think I could have one in America after tasting one in Paris.

What is one thing about you that not many people know?

I have an absurd obsession with Netflix.