Black Flims To Stream Before Black History Month Ends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Becoming – Netflix 

I loved this film so much, I ended up buying the book. The film focuses on Michelle Obama’s autobiography and post-White House life. The movie documents her travels as she goes on her book tour and speaks to a variety of people. Before watching the film, I was curious about life in the White House and national politics. I also have always found Michelle Obama to be motivating and inspirational. If you’re in need of some uplifting, I highly recommend this film. It has a little bit of everything, talking about her childhood, family, her husband, to her life in the White House. I loved it. Being able to see a woman of color be as accomplished as she is, it’s incredibly inspiring especially during this time. 

If Beale Street Could Talk – Hulu

Watching Barry Jenkins films makes me emotional. They are thought-provoking and profound. I will admit, Jenkins’ films tend to be heavy in dialogue rather than action, but it’s worth taking time to fully dedicate yourself to the film. I think this is what’s so special about Barry Jenkins. The dialogue is deep but rich. Based on the book written by James Baldwin, the film centers around Tish and her finance Fonny. Not too long after Tish becomes pregnant, Fonny is arrested for a crime he didn’t commit. It’s more than a romance film, it’s a film about racism, family, friends, and justice. With a heavy Black cast, a Black director and writer, and it currently being the month of love, it needs to be watched. 

Tatum Mangus / Annapurna Pictures

When They See Us – Netflix 

Alright, so I’m kinda cheating on this one. Although not a film and rather a miniseries, this show is absolutely stunning, heartbreaking, and just all-around incredible. There were many emotions as I watched. Based on the real-life story about the “Central Park Five” or more preferably known as the Exonerated Five, the show follows five young men in Harlem, New York in 1989 who were accused of raping and assaulting a young White female jogger in Central Park. This would have to be one of my favorite projects created and directed by Ava DuVernay. It was hard not to put it down and it easily became a bingeable show that could be squeezed in one day. However, the subject matter was intense and left me thinking. The acting, directing, writing, everything was beyond amazing while still being heartwrenching.

Moonlight – Netflix 

“This is not a joke, Moonlight has won Best Picture.” The joke had to be made, sorry La La Land. This film is famous for a lot of reasons, but it is insanely beautiful. While described as a “coming of age” film, it follows Chiron through three stages of his life, childhood, teen adolescence, and adulthood. The audience journeys through Chiron’s life as he lives and deals with a drug-addicted mother, bullying, sexuality, and drug dealing. There’s so much beauty in this film from the score to the storyline to the cinematography. Barry Jenkins truly did a remarkable job with this film. It’s powerful and heartfelt. The film features an all-Black cast and the acting is spectacular. There were many emotions I felt while watching this film. I highly recommend it if you haven’t watched it before.

A24

Us – HBO Max 

THE ENDING. Jordan Peele has to be one of my favorite filmmakers due to his mind-boggling films. They’re famous for a reason, but I will never be over how this film wasn’t nominated for any Academy Awards. I wouldn’t call myself a huge horror fan, but this psychological thriller is a must-watch. The film centers around Adelaide and her family taking a trip to Santa Cruz. However, Adelaide is forced to confront her past when identical strangers who look exactly like her family as they chase Adelaide’s family throughout the film. The eeriness of it all brings me so much delight. If you haven’t watched it you need to and if you have, watch it again. It deserves the hype.

Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.