This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

Black Americans are 7 times more likely to be wrongfully convicted of murder and 12 times more likely to be convicted of drug possession over whites (while more likely to spend additional prison time over white exonerates) (Gross, Possley, & Klara Stephens, 2017). Along with this, police brutality is one of the leading causes of death for African Americans. Why is this the case, and how is this systematic racism reinforced?

According to the social dominance theory, social systems are group based, with one hegemonic group and multiple subordinate groups (e.g., African Americans in the U.S, Koreans in Japan, etc.) (Sidanius, Liu, Shaw, & Pratto, 1994). With this paradigm we see that hierarchical enhancing systems (police departments, FBI, KGB, criminal justice system) favor and pin the strong against the socially weak, while consistently reproducing decisions that maintain or increase group-based hierarchical relationships (Sidanius, Liu, Shaw, & Pratto, 1994). In the specific case of Ahmuad Arbery, a 27-year-old black male who was chased and murdered by two white men in daylight. It took two months for Arbery’s killers to be arrested, springing many questions and anger that rippled through communities. In specific, why did it take wide media recognition for justice to be served?

The Social dominance theory iterates that institutional discrimination is a frontline force in “creating, maintaining, and recreating systems of group-based hierarchy (Sidanius, Pratto, Laar, & Levin, 2004).” Moreover, because of McMichael’s (Arbery’s killers) law enforcement roots, two District attorney officers recused themselves from this case. This is not of any surprise because, “the criminal-justice system is one of the most important hierarchy-enhancing social institutions within the social system (Sidanius, et al., 1994). The second DA officer who recused himself from the case went as far to say that “Arbery initiated the fight, at that point Arbery grabbed the shotgun, under Georgia Law, McMichael was allowed to use deadly force to protect himself.” Although this DA officer seems to misunderstand the details that occurred that day, he continues to maintain/reiterate his dominance and McMichael’s. We see that the criminal justice systems are notorious for maintaining discrimination. For example, in a case study that held over 32,000 felony convictions, black defendants were prized with a harsher prison sentence over whites (Sidanius, et al., 1994). Through the social dominance theory, we can conclude that the criminal justice system plays an important role in maintaining this group-based inequality between the hegemonic and subordinate groups.

Sadly this was not the only devastating event that occurred this year. An unarmed black man, George Floyd, was brutally murdered by police officer(s) (I use the plural form because I believe that being a bystander in a situation like this results in equal guilt). This crippling video and the words “I can’t breath,” have created a sharp fire throughout the country. People including myself are distraught, enraged and sick of these gruesome headlines and open brutality that occurs between the police and Black Americans.  

Who do you call when the police itself are doing the crime? Who/what holds our police departments accountable? I am afraid we don’t know the answer.

“As much as you pray for George’s family, gotta also pray for the police officer(s) who were involved in this evil. As hard as it is, pray for them instead of hate them…Pray that God changes their hearts.” – Michael porter Jr. 

“The NYPD is using a bus to transfer arrested protesters at the Barclays Center. However the bus driver refused to drive it.” – Brian Gresko 

“This shouldn’t be “normal” in 2020 America. It can’t be “normal.” If we want our children to grow up in a nation that lives up to its highest ideals, we can and must be better.” -Barack Obama

How Can I help?

1. Attorney Mike Freeman at 612-348-5550 to demand a murder charge for the officer(s) involved in the case. 

2. Text ‘FLOYD’ to 55156 and clink the link to be sent to sign the petition. 

3. Call Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison at 651-296-3353

4. DNOT share videos and pictures of people rioting/protesting, their safety is of concern.

5. Donate to the George Floyd Memorial Fund

6. Donate to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund

1. They “fight to defend our civil and human rights,” by “winning legal battles, [protecting] voters across the nation, and [advancing] the cause of racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society”

7. Help fund the Black Lives Matter movement

1. They fight to “end state-sanctioned violence, liberate Black people, and end white supremacy forever.”

8. Call out racism when you see it. Be outspoken, bystanders are equally guilty. 

Citations

Gross, S. R., Possley, M., & Klara Stephens. (2017). RACE AND WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS            IN THE UNITED STATES. National Registry of Exonerations .

Sidanius, J., Liu, J. H., Shaw, J. S., & Pratto, F. (1994). Social Dominance Orientation Hierarchy           Attenuators and Hierarchy Enhancers: Social Dominance Theory and the Criminal                       Justice System. Journal of Applied Sociology.

Ariyana Kermanizadeh is a Northern California native, and is currently pursuing her undergraduate career at UC San Diego. At UCSD, she studies Psychology with an emphasis in Human Health as well as Biology. Ariyana hopes to attend Medical School in the near future, to chase her dream of becoming a Physician. As an aspiring Physician she hopes her future will consist of assisting underserved communities and fighting for health care rights. Follow Ari on Instagram (Ariyana_k).
Her Campus at UCSD aims to create a more open platform for women to share their ideas and passions with the rest of the college community. Our writers are students of all different majors who share the same passion for writing and media and are excited to bring more fun articles for the UCSD community and others to indulge in and enjoy.