Afraid of Speaking Up? You Aren’t Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

This past week, students at UCSD found themselves face to face with a giant panel of graphic images on library walk from a group of anti-abortion activists from the Center for Bioethical Reform. The activists called the display the The Genocide Awareness Project. Those who found themselves passing by were treated not only to gruesome images, but also biased, one-sided opinions, and extreme comparisons that reflected inaccurate information about abortion. That is, until a group of UCSD students opposed to the project came together to form their own group and protest their own pro-choice views.

Word of mouth travels fast and as I overheard conversations in my class, at work, and at home, about how comparing genocide to abortion is repulsive, how the images were triggering, and how outrageous it was that the tour group of elementary students had to witness that, the only thing that crossed my mind was, “What is the best way to address this?”

Circumstances such as these come and go in flashes and before you know it they become old news and just make for great stories of “Remember when..?” However, the impact they have on the community they touched never goes away.

For this particular case, many students feel that although everyone is entitled to their freedom of speech, this “cause” was infringing on the university’s promise to make their students feel safe. The great thing about attending school at UCSD is that we are indeed a liberal college, whom as a whole, does not stand for such triggering, offensive, and ridiculous displays of misinformation.

Perhaps you also felt as if you were unsure of the what the proper response and reaction would have been to the Genocide Awareness Project. Maybe you are wishing you would have stood along with your peers in solidarity to have shown your support and are regretting not taking action.

After mulling things over the past couple of days, it has dawned on me that there is no “right way” to handle these things. If you feel as if you should have participated, know that the best place to start is by educating yourself. Researching the hard facts about abortion and whatever other cause you feel passionate about is a great place to begin.

Don’t stop there though! Getting in touch with other friends of yours who have a big presence in the community and hold strong opinions is a great resource to utilize when you want to begin taking steps to becoming more informed. Additionally, there are a wide variety of campus resources and communities that you can join to further expand your knowledge such as the Women’s Center, the Raza Resource Center, the Cross Cultural Center, the Black Resource Center, the LGBT+ center, and many others..

Remember, simply by recognizing the event for what is was and having thoughtful conversation with others is a great first step in becoming informed and building up courage to take a more active stance in the future.

Oneisha is a senior at the University of California, San Diego earning her degree in Music Techonology with a minor in Psychology. Having just graduated from her sorority, Oneisha was looking for a fun way to still be involved in a student org and found it through HerCampus. In addition to the content written here, you can find more of her writing (this time all food based) at UCSD's Spoon University website. Fun hobbies include eating, weight lifting, reading, and crafting.
Rebecca is a second year student majoring in Cognitive Science. Her goal is to either be involved in Alzheimer's research or be a child psychologist. She helped plan recruitment for her sorority this year and enjoys soaking up the sun at the beach.