7 Secret Skin Tips For A Clearer Complexion!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

It’s seven in the morning and your alarm goes off. We all know that alarm; the one Apple successfully created to be the most annoying sound in the world. You keep clicking snooze in two-minute intervals until finally it does its job and you get up. It’s time for school so you head over to the bathroom for your usual morning ritual. You turn on the lights and stop in your tracks…there it is…the dreaded pimple. We’ve all been there. There’s a moment of shock, awe (at how big it is), and disbelief. There’s no way this could be happening because you have that big date on Friday night! Well, fear no more, here are six skin tips that’ll help you zap that zit back in its place.

1) Steam

This first tip is pretty simple. It can be done by heating water on the stove, or even during a hot shower! The point is to get your face in front of steam because the steam opens up your pores and allows you to get a deeper cleanse. It’s important to be careful when doing this though because you don’t want to burn yourself. The best way to steam your face if you’re not in the shower is to heat some water over the stove and then pour it into a bowl. Put your face over the bowl and cover yourself with a hot towel so it creates a sort of sauna. You’ll be able to feel your pores open it! Make sure to rinse your face with cold water after to help close the pores.

2) Exfoliate

This next tip would actually go great with the first one! Exfoliating your skin is very important because it helps clear away dirt and dead skin that builds up. You don’t need to shell out the big bucks for this either! Your local drug store should carry exfoliators. One recommendation is Charcoal & Black Sugar Facial Polishing Mask (CVS, $3.99). This one is great because it’s both a mask and a scrub! You don’t have to shell out the bucks for these either, you can make simple exfoliators right at home! For example mixing sugar and honey together makes a great exfoliator. As wonderful as it is, this tip should be used in moderation. It’s not good to exfoliate everyday because it can be harsh on the skin. It’s best to just exfoliate once a week.

3) Ice

Now this next tip might sound a little strange since we just used heat to steam our face, but the truth is that ice is great at reducing swelling, not just for injuries, but for pimples as well! Grabbing a piece of ice and holding it directly on the pimple for a couple minutes will instantly help reduce its size. Of course this will cause reddening of the area, so don’t do this right before going out!

4) Toothpaste

Toothpaste and pimples, most people wouldn’t associate these two words together, but toothpaste is the best-kept secret for pimples! It helps dry out the pimple and prevent it from growing. Just apply the toothpaste directly on the pimple and leave it on for an hour or two. For best results, using tip number three and then putting toothpaste on will give you fast success in beating that pimple!

5) Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize!

This one might sound like common sense but the truth is that most people do not moisturize enough. Moisturizing is very important to maintaining skin health. Our skin is constantly working hard to rejuvenate itself, but it can’t do that if it is dry. Dry skin slows down the process and also gives it a dull appearance. When you moisturize you are essentially encouraging your skin towards rejuvenation!

6) Drinking lots of water

A lot of people do not know the connection that drinking water has to your skin.  It might surprise you to know that the two are directly correlated! Your skin is a direct representation of your general health, so staying healthy and hydrated on the inside will show on the outside. If you want glowing skin drinking water will definitely get you there! Drinking eight glasses of water a day is the recommended amount.  

7) Sleep

Just as important as drinking enough water is getting enough sleep. When you sleep your body relaxes and goes into repair mode. If you don’t get enough sleep, your body doesn’t have the chance to do this and it begins to show on your skin. It also speeds up the aging process. The term beauty sleep isn’t just a staying!

The most important thing to remember is that everyone’s skin type is different. What works for some people won’t work for others. These seven tips are guaranteed to help everyone though if used moderately and properly with your skin type. Working these tips into your beauty routine is sure to give you great results.

Taylor is currently a senior at the University of California, at San Diego where she is studying for a BA in Communication Studies. She is the Co-Correspondent of the HC UCSD chapter, and also a member of the lovely Alpha Omicron Pi, Lambda Iota chapter. While she isn't busy reading 50 pages every day for her communication classes, she enjoys reading a plethora of other types of books (especially anything by Malcolm Gladwell!). Other interests include eating Gouda-grilled cheese sandwiches, drinking lots and lots of tea, attending concerts, watching Parks and Recreation, and attempting to buy every beauty product that Ulta and Sephora can offer. She has also been self-proclaimed as Katy Perry's #1 fan #katycat4life.