5 Movies From Redbox to Watch Before Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.
We made it collegiettes! We finished winter quarter and now we’re back to relaxing. If you’re anything like me, spring break was not long enough, meaning I just need to veg out and relax for a few more weeks. So grab some popcorn and M&M’s (heaven’s movie combination) and check out these five must-see flicks that you can get for $1.62 from Red Box. 

Big Hero Six 

This movie was classic Disney. And by classic, I mean charming, cute, and feel-good. Baymax is a giant marshmallow of jokes, kindness, and life lessons. This would be a great flick to watch with friends or family. 

The Theory of Everything 

This was on my list of movies-to-see because of the film’s various Oscar nominations and Eddie Redmayne’s Oscar win for Best Actor. I have been crushing on Eddie since Les Mis and he lived up to my expectations in this film as well; he was as fantastic as Stephen Hawking dealing with ALS. However, the film wasn’t as heart wrenching as expected. Redmayne portrayed Hawking with dignity and class. Felicity Jones, as Jane Hawking, held her own as well. A well-made and well-acted film about Stephen Hawking deserves to be watched.

The Hundred Foot Journey 

This has become one of my all-time favorites. Food, France, and friendship? What more do you need in a film? But beware, you will both be hungry and want to study abroad by the time this movie is finished. 

The Best of Me

Well, this wasn’t my favorite film of Nicholas Sparks, but it is worth a watch on a Girl’s Night In. James Marsden stars in this romance film, which is always a plus, along with the beautiful Michelle Monaghan. The use of flashbacks from a couple’s growing love story will appeal to the chick flick divas. Even if romantic movies aren’t your thing, bring tissues; this one is a tear jerker!  

Divergent 

Not as good as the books, but what book-turned-film is? Shaliene Woodley is an incredibly decent actress; I love all the action she performs as heroin, Tris. And with Insurgent out in theaters now, you can prepare yourself for the sequel! It will be much more action-filled that the first for you thrill-seeking collegiettes! 

I hope you all have a relaxing, movie-binging first few weeks of college. Don’t be afraid to spend time vegging out on the couch. Midterms will approach us soon enough. We deserve it!
Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.