5 Important Things for a Collegiette to Remember!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

We all know it, college can be a busy, stressful time. Amongst all the studying, socializing, and prepping for our future, it’s important to remain positive and remember to stay true to ourselves and our goals. Here at HC, inspired by a recent seminar given by Matthew Hussey, we have compiled a list of things we believe every collegiette should keep in mind! 

1. Take your chances. Do not be afraid to try new things, collegiette! As soon as you start interacting with people, we establish an identity; this may not be an identity that you want for yourself, but rather is an identity imposed on you. Gradually and over time, you can end up reinforcing this identity and, sometimes, avoid doing the things you truly want to do. In life, hope to have stories about the things you did, not regrets about the things you didn’t do. Did you try out for that team and fail during tryouts? Yes, it was embarrassing, but now you have a story to tell and a lesson to learn from. Soon, you’ll look upon it and laugh, but it will always be an experience that allowed you to learn and grow. So don’t be afraid to chase what you want to do and take a chance! 

2. Be careful who you’re trying to impress. Most likely, there are people in your life that, either subconsciously or consciously, you are trying to impress. Here’s the most important thing: do not worry about those people’s perceptions and views of you. Worry about what you’re doing right now and what’s best for you, ladies! 

3. Be the type of person you would like to be around. Often as college students, we have insecurities about things like whether or not we are going to get invited to a party or accepted to a club. We can either spend our time trying to secure that invite or that club position, or we can truly invest time in ourselves. Try and stop focusing on other’s behaviors, and focus rather on being the kind of person you and other people would like to be around. Establish initial relationships, get to know people, and great friendships will naturally follow!

4. See every job as a learning experience. Many people reject jobs because they don’t believe those jobs are getting them to exactly where they want to be. Truth is, what you believe may be the wrong job can actually be right for you. This job can and often will teach you skills for your next job and, eventually, you will reach a career state you are happy with. Hello, dream job! 

5. Enjoy being young, but think like an adult. We are young, and it’s okay to make mistakes. However, these mistakes should always have a little wiggle room. Make mistakes that allow you to grow and build your future despite those missteps.

Leonor Donayre is a senior at the University of California San Diego. She is double majoring in Social Inequality and Political Science while also pursuing a minor in psychology. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Leonor is an active member of Alpha Omicron Pi Sorority and a writing tutor. Leonor believes that determination, hard work, and confidence are tools that lead to a path of success.