photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

5 Fun and Inexpensive SD Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.
Hey Collegiettes! Sometimes we need to put down our books and take a trip to explore this beautiful city we are lucky to live in! I have compiled a list of 5 things to do in San Diego that won’t force you to take out extra student loans. 

1. Walk to La Jolla Shores. A couple friends and I like to do this on Saturday mornings. It’s about a 6 mile walk round-trip to La Jolla Shores, but the ocean views make it feel a lot shorter. Also, if you break up the walk with some breakfast at Shores in between, you’re golden!  

2. Explore Balboa Park. Balboa Park is one f my favorite San Diego locations. There is awesome architecture, museums, beautiful landscaping, and always something going on.  Also, the hot dogs they sell at the hot dog stands are REALLY good (just putting that out there). 

3.  Go line dancing. For those of you 21 and over there is this awesome line dancing bar called InCahoots. But here, it’s not about the drinking, it’s about the dancing. If you get there at 6:30 you don’t have to pay a cover charge, and you get free dance lessons! Then you can dance all night and pretend that you are in Footloose! 

4. Take a hike. We have all heard about the Disneyland of hikes, Potato Chip Rock; but there are also dozens of other trails in San Diego. There are even some beautiful hikes in our backyard at Torrey Pines State Reserve! 

5. Attend a Campus Event. I know we all try to avoid being on campus on the weekends, but UCSD comes up with some pretty awesome events for us. They also usually involve free food! So I encourage you collegiettes to check out some on campus events, you wouldn’t even have to move your car!
Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.