5 Free Social Apps that Every Collegiette Should Download

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.
Today, Smart Phones are so intelligent that they probably could get accepted into UCSD. Our iPhones and Samsung Galaxies are devices that assist with providing us the combined pleasures of entertainment and convenience. As a guilty yet shameless social media fiend, I find it difficult to put down my phone during three hour lectures, long days at work, and even Girl’s Night Out’s! Stunningly, many university students struggle with the same issue. Thankfully, our pesky habit of being attached to our phone can lead us to new discoveries that will make our college experience much more enjoyable. Through vigorous research that begun with an easy trip to the App Store, I’ve created a list of 5 Free Apps that every Collegiette should download in order to make her life here at UCSD a better one.

1. bSafe: Have you ever felt unsafe walking back from a night class that was located all the way in Sixth College? Have you ever been on a date with a guy that made you feel flat out uncomfortable?  No need to worry Tritonettes! There is a Social Safety Network that can save you from sticky situations.  bSafe, the self proclaimed Modern Day 911, is the perfect app to keep open on your midnight trek back to your dorm from a productive late session at Geisel. bSafe was created with the intention to promote safety by alerting your specific guardians of your location and situation. Its features include a GPS tracking system, fake calling device and an Alert button that video records your current condition. You can even ask friends to join you by utilizing the ‘Walk Me Home Safely” feature.  Just click a button and your parents and friends can be vigilant of your surroundings. So whether you’re out clubbing, going for a jog, or chilling at home alone, bSafe has got you covered.

2. Duolingo: We all know that being bilingual can provide you with that edge that looks great on job applications. Knowing more than one language can be useful in so many ways! It can inspire you to study abroad while also making communication with international students a breeze. While learning tenses and accents can be frustrating, the overall knowledge you will eventually gain will serve much more rewarding for your future. Duolingo is an app designed to keep you on track to learn any desired language. It works by offering you an array of lessons that teach you to learn how to listen and speak the language. Every section ends with a short multiple choice quiz that serves as a review. I’ve been studying Italian for the last two weeks and have learned 110% more than I have by merely reading regular language guides. So when you’re ready to impress the regulars at I-House or flirt it up with that hot Brazilian guy from Muir 50, don’t forget to download Duolingo.

3. SelfControl: Earlier I mentioned my excessive phone use. Unfortunately my addiction to my iPhone is my biggest vice during finals week. Luckily, the SelfControl app aids in limiting distractions by letting you organize a “Black List” and a “White List.” The Black List organizes all of the websites and apps that you want to block during your study time. This serves to lock you out of all of the Apps that can distract you away from crucial study time. On the flipside, the White List shelves all of the web pages that will be allowed to use because they help you with your studying. SelfControl will definitely come in handy when you need to focus on that MMW paper.

4. Songza: Truth is when it comes to Music Apps, Pandora is just too main stream. Sure, you select an artist and Pandora may broadly filter your taste but often times the attempt is unsuccessful. I immediately made the switch to Songza after I heard a Miley Cyrus song blast on during The Weeknd radio. Created in 2011, Songza is an App that streams music playlists based on its user’s mood, current activity, or energy preference. Songza offers an array of playlists that can make working out or cleaning your mess of a dorm room more enjoyable. A few of my personal favorite Songza playlists are titled Getting Lucky (Cue the Arctic Monkeys), High Heel Power Walk, (No Such Thing as) The Walk of Shame, and the infamous Alpha Gamma Rachet. Twerk on Tritons!

Lastly, I chose Venmo as a must-have App because I find it very efficient whenever I go out with my girlfriends. Venmo is an app where you can securely make and share payments with your social network. The easy system makes owing people money fun and stressless. After you enter your major Debit Card info, you will be able to send and receive money from your contacts.  Just whip out your phone and within seconds you can pay back your friend for that Goody’s burrito that she just bought you.

Jasmine is currently a senior at the University of California, San Diego. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Education Studies. Jasmine is the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UCSD, along with the amazing Taylor Zepeda. Jasmine spends most of her time volunteering at low socioeconomic status elementary schools across the San Diego county and grading papers for classes she is a Teacher's Assistant in. Novel wise, she is an avid fan of Edith Wharton and the Lord of the Rings series. She also loves comedic shows like New Girl and The Big Bang Theory, but also enjoys thrillers like Criminal Minds. One of Jasmine's favorite hobbies is trying foods of different cultures; she loves visiting cultural nights and community festivals. Above all, Jasmine worships Beyonce (a.k.a. Beysus, Queen Bee, Baeyonce, etc). Her future aspiration in life is to become the Secretary of Education and have the Hov and B over for dinners.