sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Things To Do, Eat and See in San Diego

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSD chapter.

San Diego is one of California’s most popular tourist destinations, and as residents in La Jolla, there’s no reason we shouldn’t take advantage of its beautiful beaches, gourmet eateries and breathtaking scenery. Here are just a few of must see places in La Jolla, all of which are of walking distance or capable of reaching by bus, or a short drive.

1. Explore La Jolla Cove

A fan of seals? La Jolla Cove is home to a myriad of wildlife, and on a sunny day, you’re more often than not going to see a family of seals sunbathing on the sand or relaxing on the rocks.

2. Carne Asada Fries at Vallarta’s

Hungry at 1AM and all the dining halls are closed? Head over to Vallarta’s for the infamous Carne Asada fries, covered in bite-sized pieces of steak and smothered in cheese, guacamole and sour cream. A local favorite catered perfectly to the college appetite.

3. Brunch at Cody’s

If you fancy something a bit more refined, head over to Cody’s for a breakfast worthy of your Instagram. With a relaxing atmosphere, gorgeous overlook of the Pacific and dishes such as their French Toast smothered in sea salt butter and strawberries or the crab cake benedict, you’ll be looking for more excuses to ditch the dining hall and up your breakfast game.

4. Hiking at North Torrey Pines Reserve

A perfect activity to de-stress during finals or train for a 5K. With multiple trails ranging in difficulty levels, this reserve is guaranteed to accommodate any fitness junkie.

5. Museum of Contemporary Art in Downtown La Jolla

This secret gem boasts incredible pieces of art and sculpture that is free to the public- a must see for a student on a budget.

6. Parasailing at Gliderport

Feeling adventurous? Just a few minutes from UCSD is Torrey Pines Gliderport where you can sail above the ocean and catch some amazing views of La Jolla.

7. Boba on Convoy

Satisfy your sweet tooth with a dessert that’s booming in popularity. On Convoy, not only can you find inexpensive and delicious boba, but delicate shaved ice drizzled with condensed milk and topped with berries, refreshing slushies and decadent slices of dessert toast topped with scoops of ice cream.

8. Coffee at Pannikin

Need a place to study, but dreading the gloom of Geisel? Take the 30 to Pannikin Coffee and Tea for organic brews and perfectly blended drinks.

9. Kayaking at La Jolla Shores

Feel at one with the Pacific and spend the day at La Jolla Shores soaking up the sun and kayaking around caves and tides.

10. Surfing at Black’s Beach

It’s almost an obligation for every San Diegan to surf at least once. Home to some of the smartest surfers and the most beautiful sunsets around, Black’s Beach is the perfect destination to catch a wave before or after class.

Rebecca is a second year student majoring in Cognitive Science. Her goal is to either be involved in Alzheimer's research or be a child psychologist. She helped plan recruitment for her sorority this year and enjoys soaking up the sun at the beach.