Culture > News

Why Nicki Minaj’s Vaccine Tweet Is Dangerous, A Rhetorical Analysis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

Celebrities are deemed “influencers” because of just that: their influence. Social media platforms like Twitter and Instagram allow even the most famous people to directly communicate with millions of their fans, and Nicki Minaj is the queen of fandoms. Her most recent tweet regarding the COVID-19 vaccine prompted a whirlwind of debate concerning cancel culture, anti-vaccine sentiment, and something called #BallGate. The world was not expecting this one. 

The Tweet in question stated that Nicki’s cousin’s friend (reminds you of a few stories you’ve heard from that friend, doesn’t it?) dealt with impotence and swollen testicles after receiving the vaccine to the dismay of his then-fiance. Though there are a slew of theories swirling around about what could have triggered the effects一like maybe the bachelor party?一 the general consensus is that the story lacks scientific grounds. Nicki has been in the spotlight for decades, she knows how large and powerful her fanbase is, and her word choice while explaining this story was careless, immature, and dangerous. 

My first qualm with her explanation is the implication that the impotence was caused by the vaccine. As anyone who’s taken a school math class or two knows, correlation does not equal causation. By phrasing it the way she did, Nicki subconsciously embedded in the world’s mind the wild notion that one man’s down-under-discomfort was a direct impact of receiving the vaccine一something that has no scientific backing. She invoked skepticism into her 22.6 million Twitter followers instead of sharing a story alongside some actual scientific fact. 

Possibly the most irresponsible phrasing was Nicki’s use of the word “bullied” when urging people to make their own decision regarding the vaccination. She stated, “just pray on it & make sure you’re comfortable with ur decision, not bullied.” Once again, the implication that vaccinated people are forcing others to do the same demonizes everyone who is contributing to a safer community. 

Regardless of her intention, the misuse of information combined with her widespread influence will have a negative impact on the world and likely lead to some sick Barbz. After a career where she repeatedly encouraged her fanbase to gain an education, be financially independent, and stand up for themselves, her lack of support for her fans’ safety regarding COVID-19 is unexpected. It’s disappointing to see her use her celebrity in such a harmful way toward her community. 

One of the top responses on Twitter by @GreenwoodXl said it best, “Gossip isn’t research.” Nicki felt the effects of #BallGate strongly enough to consider a visit to the white house, though they claim to have only mentioned a phone call, and decided to do an Instagram Live instead declaring her feelings toward Twitter and the end of #BallGate. After the constant encouragement of her fans to do their own research regarding the vaccine, she still shows no signs of offering actual scientific guidance. If doing “research” was as easy as a quick Google search, then reading her Tweets would qualify. 

Celebrities are human beings. They make mistakes. I get that. However, Nicki had numerous opportunities to negate her primary statement with actual evidence and decided to prioritize her pride instead. With that level of fame comes the same level of responsibility and, especially with the mutant viruses running around, vaccine hesitancy is the last thing our goal of herd immunity needs. 

So, whether you have 158 million Instagram followers, like Nicki, or just 10, pay attention to the impact that your voice has. When discussing something as serious as a vaccine, your influence could mean the difference between life and death.  

Serena is a student at UCSC pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Literature with a love for creativity, storytelling, and learning.