Starbucks drink with pumpkins and mums
Starbucks drink with pumpkins and mums
Original photo by Emma Hogan
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

Ever since its iconic release in 2003, the Pumpkin Spiced Latte has had its hold on loyal followers of Starbucks like a wet tongue on a frozen pole. Although I have to admit—it’s well worth the clamor. Only offered during the fall, starting August 24th, the Pumpkin Spiced Latte, or PSL, has become one of the main identifiers signifying the start of fall and all things cozy and warm. As described on Starbucks’ website, the PSL contains Starbucks’ “signature espresso and steamed milk with the celebrated flavor combination of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. Enjoy it topped with whipped cream and real pumpkin-pie spices.” And boy, did I enjoy the whipped cream and sprinkle of spices on top. Remaining cautious, I ordered the tall (smallest cup order) but I’m pretty sure I drank it all in at least thirty seconds. 

For those who have a sweet tooth and don’t like the original bitter taste of coffee, I’d recommend trying this drink. Though I know I should’ve gotten this drink as a hot coffee, it was a hot day so I got it iced. I always prefer iced coffee anyways, so it worked out well. In the future I’ll definitely try this drink while it’s hot (because it’s very likely that I’ll be getting this again). 

After eighteen years of having this drink available, I’m so glad to have finally popped my PSL cherry and have my Christian Autumn Girl moment. Now all I need is to crochet some scarves and hats to wear for not only fall, but winter as well. 

Other recommended Pumpkin flavored products sold by Starbucks:

• Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew 
  • Apple Crisp Macchiato 
  • Pumpkin Scone 
  • Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin 
  • Pumpkin Loaf 
  • Vanilla Sweet Cream Nitro Brew 
Hello! My name is Theresa Bostic but I also go by DJ Terbear for my radio show, "The Shuffle" which plays on Sundays from 2-4pm on KZSC, UCSC's campus radio station. As an undergradute at UCSC, I'm double majoring in History and Sociology with a minor in Black Studies. I love making new friends, baking, hiking, and watching video essays on YouTube.