This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

Hello lovely readers! It’s Elise and I’m back from my quarter in DC! (Well, I mean, technically I was back last week with my “Reality of a Spring Quarter Graduate” but whatever). As the title of the article suggests, I was away for winter quarter participating in UCDC. Before I go into my experience, some background information might be helpful.

According to their website, “the UC Washington Center (UCDC) is a multi-campus residential, instructional and research center that provides students and faculty from the University of California with opportunities to study, research, work, and live within Washington’s rich cultural, political and international heritage.” Basically, each UC campus sends students each quarter to Washington DC, and there the student takes a class (or two) and works at an internship. The UC Washington Center, the building where classes and apartments are, is in the super nice Dupont neighborhood. 

Now, my experience: 

For the program, I took one seminar class (Washington Media with Marc Sandalow, a 10/10), though there are additional electives you can take. I also, of course, had an internship which is a huge aspect of the program, which I was able to extend remotely through spring quarter. For me, the hardest part of UCDC was getting the internship. 

It took about a month for most institutions to get back to me, and many never replied to my application at all. If you’re interested in doing UCDC, start looking into and applying for internships a good two months in advance, so you don’t stress about not having one once you’re there. My internship is with the Library of Congress, but I had peers who worked in congressional offices, for non-profits, lobbying groups, and so many other organizations. 

My favorite parts of my UCDC experience were not in my class or even internship, but were making new friends and exploring the city. Cliche as it may be, they truly were the best parts. I became super close with my two roommates, which was not often the case in the building. And visiting such a beautiful and historic city was amazing, especially THE MUSEUMS. I’m a history and classics double major, so the museums were the highlight of every week. 

But that’s not to say it was all peachy-keen. For starters, I was there during the middle of winter; it was so cold. Like, couldn’t-leave-the-apartment-without-gloves-and-a-parka-and-I-was-still-cold, cold. And cramming 150 high achieving, super dedicated UC students from different campuses and backgrounds into one building led to some not so subtle drama. And DC is freaking expensive, but Santa Cruz is also expensive so I wasn’t as shocked as some other people. I wanted to cry every other week, between stress from class and my internship and just being overwhelmed in a completely different environment. And, I had the easiest schedule of my roommates.

When I got accepted for UCDC winter quarter, 6 months in advance because I have no chill, I was so happy I cried. But knowing that I was going to spend three months in DC and then packing and leaving for DC were two very different things. The moving part didn’t feel real until I was literally driving into town from the airport. I drove into Washington DC at 2am (after being up for 22 hours) and cried in the Uber when I saw the Washington Monument from the freeway. 

I was lucky that I clicked with my roommates and loved the city, so I never really missed California. Until both of my roommates went home for Valentine’s Day, then the homesickness and loneliness hit me all at once. That’s when I really sat and thought “holy shit I am living on the other side of the country and I don’t really know anyone.” 

The next month or so were harder than the start of the program because I couldn’t shake that feeling of being a little lost. Didn’t matter that I loved DC or how great my roommates or internship was. I was living in limbo. Moving out, like moving in, didn’t really feel real until I had to check out and turn in my key. It snowed the day I left, which was a little ridiculous since the day before was 60 degrees with no clouds, but I digress. 

Leaving was the worst kind of bittersweet, because I was going home to see my friends and family that I hadn’t seen in three months, but it meant that this life altering experience was over. And yes, I do mean life altering experience. My career goals or life plan didn’t change, like it did for some people, but I did change. Mostly how I perceived the world and how I fit into it. And even if my UCDC experience was a little insane, I wouldn’t change it for the world.

Hi y'all! I'm Elise and I'm a History and Politics double major and Classical Studies minor. When I'm not holed up in the library, I love to hike, journal, make coffee, and wander through museums.