Miraculous: Tales of A Perfectly Fine Inner Child

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

Yes, I just turned 20 almost three weeks ago. Yes, I love a children’s show. No, my inner child is perfectly fine. 

My guilty pleasure for our theme week is Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir. If you’re unfamiliar with the show, it’s a French Disney Channel show about a 14 year old girl, named Marinette (alias: Ladybug), who’s a secret superhero that protects Paris with her partner, Cat Noir. The two superheroes don’t know each other’s true identities and here’s where it gets even more exciting, enter: the love square—with 2 people. Marinette is in love with Adrian (aka Cat Noir) and Adrian is in love with Ladybug, but neither of them know that they’re in love with each other. The angst is top tier. 

I love this show. I’ve been watching it since I was a freshman in high school—still probably too old to be watching but whatever—and now I’m a sophomore in college. But, the guilt part doesn’t necessarily stem from the show itself; I think it has a captivating plot and the love square has me fully invested. I’m more so annoyed with how quickly people pull out the “healing your inner child” argument. My inner child is fine.

Not everything is about that. Sometimes we can just like things that are intended for children without their being some deeper meaning.

This show is different from other children’s shows. I’ve tried rewatching shows from my childhood and I can only really sit through an episode or watch it for one night before I lose interest. It’s not even because I’ve seen them because I don’t even remember any of the episodes. Miraculous: The Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir is just objectively a good show and I would recommend it to other people.

The show’s lighthearted while also having an overarching plot that spans throughout the show—granted it moves extremely slow because it’s a kid’s show but it does move! It’s a comforting and mindless show that I can play when I just want a break. Shows meant for older people tend to require more thinking and sometimes you just want to watch a show that you know is going to be lighthearted. I have the same mentality when I watch Parks and Recreation and Brooklyn Nine-Nine so don’t worry, my inner child’s chilling.

I don’t think the show’s perfect. I often have to remind myself that it’s a kid’s show because the characters are so exaggerated it can get annoying. Marinette takes being quirky to a whole extra level and while the secondhand embarrassment irks me to my core, I understand that it’s probably funny for a child. 

I’ve also been watching this show since I was a freshman in high school. I’m invested in the characters and I want to see where they go with the love square. I want to see if they’re going to give my girl Marinette the character development that she deserves because as much as I adore her, the secondhand embarrassment causes me to pause the show and take a deep breath sometimes. 

That being said, I don’t see myself stopping watching anytime soon. I also would definitely recommend for anyone to check it out if they wish to. 

Hi! I'm a third-year biomolecular engineering and bioinformatics major. I love to read and tell stories.