Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Trader Joe’s Ice Cream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

I’ve become a victim to Trader Joe’s supremacy, I believe. For the majority of this pandemic, I’ve relied on this grocery store for all the wonderful seasonings, produce, and frozen packaged goods it has provided me. Yes, I also keep up to date with the unaffiliated instagram account: @traderjoeslist to look at all the new foods Trader Joe’s has to offer. Judge me all you want, but that’s how I was able to find out about all the delicious ice cream they have to offer. Here’s a list of my favorites so far:

Southern Peach Crisp Ice Cream

Vanilla ice cream with peach puree and a crunch of buttery oat crisp! It’s become my absolute favorite ice cream flavor so far. Debuted during this spring and continuing to be sold for this summer, be sure to put this in your cart the next time you’re at Trader Joe’s. Eating it made me feel closer to sunshine and blue skies and trips to the beach. I recommend making a peach cobbler to eat alongside this ice cream! 

Speculoos Cookie Butter Ice Cream

So, so, SO good! Trader Joe’s knew to make this ice cream bigger than the other ones because it’s so addicting! The swirls of cookie butter adds a smooth nutty flavor which leads me to eating half of the quart sized container. This ice cream goes really well with freshly baked chocolate chip cookies too!

Thai Tea/Mango Mini Mochi 

If you find yourself eating through a whole row of these, don’t be alarmed. Especially since they’re smaller than regular sized mochi, it makes you feel less bad about eating too many of these sneaky morsels of goodness. The chewiness of the mochi dough provides a helpful barrier between my over-sensitive teeth and the ice cream, so I recommend these especially for those who don’t like eating things that are too cold.  

Ube Purple Yam Flavored Ice Cream

I mostly like this ice cream for how smooth and creamy it is. Also it’s so PURPLE and PRETTY! I’m sure you could probably find better ube ice cream out there in other grocery stores, but this one does the job just fine. 

Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream 

Doesn’t matcha mean green tea? I don’t understand why they named it Matcha Green Tea, it’s like when people say Chai Tea. Anyways, this ice cream does the job just fine. Tastes exactly like green tea and lives up to its name. Nothing more to say about it honestly. 

Ice Cream I HAVEN’T Tried Yet, But Planning To:

Cold Brew Coffee and Boba

Coconut non-dairy frozen dessert with tapioca pearls. Hmmmmm. I’ve heard the boba is super soft and melts in your mouth so I can’t wait to get a hold of this pint when it’s available. Unfortunately, every time I search for this in the ice cream aisle, they’re ALWAYS out! Nonetheless, I will continue despite this obstacle. 

Hold the Cone! Ice Cream Cones

These are the cutest little ice cream cones I’ve ever seen, I don’t know why I’ve never bought them. I think it’s because I know I have little self-control and would eat all of them in one sitting. 

Soy Creamy Cherry Chocolate Chip Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert 

This reminds me of Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia flavored ice cream, but make it non-dairy. I’d be willing to try Trader Joe’s version, especially since I’m lactose intolerant. 

Chocolate Fudge Oat Bars 

I’m still iffy on this because I don’t really like chocolate, but it looks appetizing. Hmmm. 

In sum, Trader Joe’s has a wide variety of ice cream flavors for all of us to try. This list didn’t even go through all the options! There are more ice cream related goods out there (ex: Cold Brew Latte Dessert Bars, Vegan Cookies & Creme Vanilla Bean Bon Bons, etc.). So here’s to a long journey of trying more ice cream and the goal to try and eat them all!

Hello! My name is Theresa Bostic but I also go by DJ Terbear for my radio show, "The Shuffle" which plays on Sundays from 2-4pm on KZSC, UCSC's campus radio station. As an undergradute at UCSC, I'm double majoring in History and Sociology with a minor in Black Studies. I love making new friends, baking, hiking, and watching video essays on YouTube.