HC UCSC Presents: What’s Been Bringing Us Joy at Home?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

The past eleven months have been a flurry of online classes, putting on and taking off our masks, and often reliving the same day over and over again. As we approach one year of COVID-19 quarantine, we decided to share all the things that have been making our time at home a little more bearable for us. If you’re looking for ways to destress, or just a fun article to read, then you’ve come to the right place!

Baking

Baking is a popular pastime of HerCampus UCSC, with cookies being our top recipe. If you’re a beginning baker, this delicious yet effortless yellow cake mix chocolate chip cookie recipe is a great place to start. Or, if you’re looking to challenge yourself, try your hand at Mrs. Bean’s Nutmeg Ginger Apple Snaps from the movie Fantastic Mr. Fox (as presented in this article by HC member Theresa).

Drinking tea or coffee

There are few things more relaxing than a mug of your favorite hot beverage. If this is your go-to method of self-care, you’re in good company: HC members Theresa and Anna (‘23) mention drinking coffee and tea as one of the top things bringing them happiness in quarantine. Moreover, Bri (‘22) explains in her article “Mindfulness and Self-Love” how making her coffee with a French press every morning taught her to appreciate the little things in life: “Pay attention to the small tasks in your day that feel small, and make them big.”

Spending time with a pet

Being with your furry friends can be one of the best ways to destress. Vivian writes in her article “10 Signs You Know He Loves You” that her cat has often encouraged her to take much-needed naps and cuddle breaks by nudging her with a paw or even sitting on her laptop, allowing her to recharge, reset, and avoid burnout. 

Doing arts and crafts

Productivity doesn’t always have to involve doing your schoolwork: sometimes, it’s just as rewarding to complete a creative project that brings a little joy into your life. Sam (‘22) has enjoyed making bracelets because they’re very customizable and make great gifts while Anna (‘23) loves painting because of the relaxing way the colors swirl around on the page. 

DoorDash!

One of the things keeping Ashti (‘22) happy and sane in quarantine is treating herself to a night of DoorDash and her favorite show. In fact, if you’re reading this, this is your official sign to TAKE A BREAK! Treat yourself tonight by taking a leaf from Ashti’s book and leaving the rest of your work for tomorrow, ordering from your favorite restaurant on DoorDash, and binging that new show you’re loving right now. Here are some DoorDash discount codes as well to make this a win for both your mental health AND your wallet.

Retail therapy

It’s been scientifically proven that the occasional shopping spree can have the same relaxing effects as a mini vacation. HerCampus UCSC has you covered with a list of product recommendations as well- happy shopping!

String lights

String lights aren’t just for holiday decor: they can be a great way to light up a room, both literally and figuratively, bringing ambience to your room and joy to your life. Try out this string light curtain to truly go big with your illumination.

Diffuser

Another wonderful way of making your space more welcoming is to appeal to your olfactory senses. Alexa (‘22) recommends using an essential oil diffuser with scents that promote relaxation and well-being, such as lavender, eucalyptus, or peppermint. 

Plants

Indoor gardening has seen a spike during COVID-19, with more and more people buying plants such as pothos and succulents to destress by freshening up their spaces and reconnecting with nature. Check out HC member Serena’s article from earlier this week for tips on how to take care of your plants! 

Stickers

Their versatile designs can be used for just about anything, from adding a pop of color to your laptop to making your class notes look cute. Katherine (‘23) is thinking of using them in her scrapbook in the future, while I consider them an essential for activities like bullet journaling and sending pen pal letters to my friends. Here’s a cute botanical sticker pack that fits with HerCampus UCSC’s cottagecore theme!

Noise-cancelling headphones

A little quiet goes a long way these days– noise-cancelling headphones can be an essential for a busy house, especially while you’re trying to focus on your Zoom classes or catch a break by binging your favorite shows. They’re a splurge, but so worth it.

Weighted shoulder pad

Weighted blankets are touted as a must-have for anxiety and stress relief, but hear me out: a portable one that you can use while you work! Sam (‘22) swears by a weighted shoulder pad that has helped them stay relaxed both after and while they work. 

Alison Sun (she/her/hers) is a second-year Computer Science major (for now) at UCSC who tries her best to be a bright and sunny presence to those around her every day. When she's not toiling over Python, you can find her bullet journaling, rereading her favorite romance novels, or dancing to Twice's "Fancy" at her desk. If you're reading this, she would like to remind you to go drink some water.