This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

As you might’ve guessed, I’m a gemini. Not only because of my sun sign, though: I have a gemini stellium which means that three or more of my personal placements are in gemini. In my case, I have four. It goes without saying that I’m pretty up there in terms of how gemini you can possibly get. 

I’ve been interested in astrology since I was a kid (anyone who also grew up watching Walter Mercado and 12 Corazones knows where I’m coming from), and ever since then I’ve been aware of the biases people have towards geminis. Growing up, I never really understood why people generally didn’t like geminis that much, but because most kids my age weren’t that familiar with astrology quite yet, I didn’t have to worry about it too much. 

That all started to change around high school where more and more of my classmates started to ask each other what their signs were. Despite the biases I was used to hearing, I was (and still am) very proud to be a gemini. But this was definitely the first time I had people say to my face something along the lines of “Ew, you’re a gemini? You’re probably super two-faced then, huh.” Let’s pause for a second and think about this—how is someone even supposed to reply to that? The funniest part about all of this though is that every single person that has said something like that to me has been someone that I had been getting along with pretty well. But once I told them my sun sign or my birthday, they  generally became more reserved or at the very least less enthusiastic.

Time and time again something like this has happened to me and other geminis I know. As someone with such a strong presence of gemini in their chart, you’d think that these people would be able to sense this “two-facedness” from a mile away. Instead, it seems that the negative connotation of being a gemini is only activated once people know you’re one. I don’t know about you, but that behavior seems dangerously close to what gemini-antis are accusing us of. 

As the communicators of the zodiac and as a highly mutable sign, geminis are generally well liked due to our ability to play to our strengths according to the given situation. Just because this might come more naturally to geminis does not necessarily mean that we, or any astrological sign for that matter, are inherently two-faced! Though some of us might know someone who coincidentally fits that description exactly, it’s important to not generalize these very surface level descriptions to every individual we encounter of that sign. This goes for all twelve signs, by the way, since geminis are not the only ones that get a bad rep (though we are one of the most common ones, just saying). 

That being said, astrology is fun and can help us understand who we are and the world around us, but it’s important to not use it as an excuse for bad behavior. Being a bad friend or making a bad decision that hurts others isn’t “just *insert sign here* things.” It’s important to own up to your mistakes and not hide behind some general characteristic your astrological sign happens to have. Twisting these characteristics to fit unacceptable behavior is exactly what leads to harsh generalizations, and more generally, is just not healthy. 

So forget about all these stereotypes and find all the things you love about each sign. None of the signs are inherently bad or inherently good, and I guarantee you that some of your favorite people have your most hated signs somewhere in their chart. Use astrology as the fun tool it’s meant to be and show the geminis in your life a little extra love during this upcoming gemini season!

Hello! My name is Sam (she/they) and I am currently double majoring in Spanish Studies and Language Studies with a concentration in Mandarin. I love learning about other people, languages, and cultures and my guilty pleasures are coffee and astrology.