Crocheting My Way Through This Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

As March nears closer, I’m getting daily reminders that it’s almost been a year since I ended my UCSC on-campus housing contract to shelter-in-place in my hometown instead. Since then, I’ve been able to develop several hobbies: playing piano, reading, baking, and the latest — crocheting. Inspired by my mom who’s been collecting hobbies of her own (such as furniture building and woodworking), I decided to follow along with her newest interest in crocheting. She’s been receiving monthly shipments of crocheting instructions to make small pocket patterns, which will become a whole blanket once she’s done. Impressed by the small patches she’s been making, I decided this would be another opportunity for us to bond. I’ve not only been able to bond with my mom, but with my Nana as well. In fact, this upcoming weekend I’ll be visiting her to spend time together and to keep us both accountable for our latest crochet projects. 

So far, I’ve only made one measly gray and white market bag:

Regardless, I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished, and I’m proud of being able to look at a tangible piece of my hard work and effort. I think like all other things, I can only improve from here and get better. As of now, I’m making a bigger and colorful version of the bag I made above for my friend’s birthday that’s coming soon. In fact, I’ve made it a goal of mine to distribute pieces of crochet to all of my friends this year when their birthdays come up. This includes me learning how to make socks, hats, and anything else I can come up with. Ambitious? Yes. But, not impossible. Giving away my crocheted products of labor as gifts is a way to show my loved ones that I care about them and think of them even though I’m not near them. 

Whether it’s crochet, or something else, I’d advise us all to find a way to show our gratitude to those we love and appreciate from time to time. Especially as we’re nearing the day of love — Valentine’s Day — I’ve been thinking about the projects I can work on that prove love can be presented in various ways. For me, crocheting has been the main way I’ve found peace of mind and it’s been a nice outlet from school and other responsibilities. So, in addition to receiving joy from gift giving, I also receive joy from being able to find happiness and a sense of pride in my newfound hobby. 

I have to admit, I’ve been feeling down from not being able to interact with my friends and family like I used to. However, I’m glad that at least with this new hobby, I’ve been doing well enough to crochet my way through this quarter. 

Hello! My name is Theresa Bostic but I also go by DJ Terbear for my radio show, "The Shuffle" which plays on Sundays from 2-4pm on KZSC, UCSC's campus radio station. As an undergradute at UCSC, I'm double majoring in History and Sociology with a minor in Black Studies. I love making new friends, baking, hiking, and watching video essays on YouTube.