This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.
Gilmore Girls

Laugh, cry, and fall in love with fast-talking Lorelai and Rory Gilmore as they navigate life in the small fictional town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. As you attend Friday night dinners with Richard and Emily and spend long school days at Chilton, Lorelai and Rory will quickly become your favorite fictional mother-daughter duo. Whether you’re Team Jess or Team Logan, the witty dialogue will keep you on your toes and will test your mastery of obscure pop culture references. When it feels like the world is falling apart, enjoy a cup of coffee and let Stars Hollow become your new home. 

Charmed

Unleash your inner witch and delve into the occult in this 1990s to early 2000s classic. You’ll start to feel like an honorary Halliwell sibling as you watch the three sisters battle ghoulish fiends and sinister forces. Empathize with “The Charmed Ones” as they discover hidden powers and strengths, all while maneuvering life as young women in a complicated world. The outdated special effects are nothing short of endearing. If you’re the quintessential sorceress in your friend group, this show will leave you absolutely bewitched.

Arrested Development

This show is comedy gold. The Bluth family is a mess, and they know it. Trying to get his family back on track, Michael Bluth deals with his eccentric family as best he can in this ensemble comedy set in Orange County, California. Cleverly written, the recurring gags and hilarious misunderstandings are enough to make even the most stoic viewers chuckle. If you aren’t yet convinced, Michael Cera plays his niche role of the embarrassingly-awkward yet lovable character you can’t help but root for. With famous guest stars including Amy Poehler, Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, and Liza Minelli herself, you’re in for a wild ride right from the pilot episode.

Twin Peaks

Looking for a little mystery? Set in the quaint fictional town of Twin Peaks, Washington, this idyllic small town is not what it seems. FBI Agent Dale Cooper ventures into the surreal as he embroils himself in solving the grisly murder of beloved high schooler Laura Palmer. In putting a supernatural twist to the classic whodunit formula, Twin Peaks will leave you second-guessing yourself at every turn. Dreamlike sequences and otherworldly forces will prompt you to question the very fabric of reality as you know it. 

New Girl

Utterly adorkable, this fun comedy will warm your heart. Accompany quirky teacher Jessica Day as she moves in with Nick, Schmidt, and Winston and navigates her new living situation. Set in LA, the group’s hilarious hijinks will supply you with more than enough laughter to get you through the chilly weather. Not only that, but the way they uplift one another as they maneuver through career changes, friendship, and relationships will leave you feeling supported by long-lost friends. But, be warned: New Girl will convince you that getting bangs reminiscent of Zooey Deschanel’s Jess is a good idea. 

Golden Girls

Embrace your inner grandma and find some warmth in Dorothy, Rose, Blanche, and Sophia as they take it day by day in Miami. This lively fictional squad will provide much-needed laughter as they maneuver living together and balancing their unique personalities with one another. These lovable gals prove that you can continue growing and have your coming-of-age moments at any stage in life. No matter how old you are, this show will leave you feeling absolutely golden. 

Howdy! I'm Jackie, and I'm a third-year History and Politics double major and Education minor at UCSC. I'm also the Events Director of HerCampus at UCSC. In my free time, I enjoy reading, knitting, listening to 80's music, and squirrel-watching!