Conquering the Exam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

Finals week is upon us. It has been a good ten weeks of learning about how Freud’s theory has helped us understand how we psychologically develop and how to use JavaScript language to make our first programs. Balancing school and work can be difficult, and as college students, we are so limited on time. Here are some studying tips to help make the most of your time and keep you focused.

1.    Sleep. Believe it or not, sleep is probably the best thing that you can do for your body. Getting enough sleep helps your body regulate itself to perform at its optimum level. Be sure to keep all source of light and sound off when you sleep. Sound and light distract your brain from being able to relax and trick your body into believing its still awake.

2.    Take breaks. Starring at your notes and textbook for long periods of time can become such a daunting task in itself. Allow yourself to take breaks. Studying can be stressful but when you take the exam, you want to be able to be as relaxed as possible in order to ace it! When you feel you’re pushing yourself over the edge, stop and take a break. Then, when you feel mentally prepared to study the next subject or topic, go back to studying. Giving yourself a break will help improve your ability to study and understand the material more effectively.

3.    Eat right. Your brain is a muscle that needs to be nourished well to be able to process information effectively. Eating healthier snack foods such as trail mix, fruits, and veggies can help give you the necessary nutrients for brain health. Rather than buying yourself that Pumpkin Spice Latte, choose to drink a herbal tea or juice, which have natural nutrients to help you stay focused and fewer calories too! Taking care of your overall nutritional health will support your body from a holistic approach.

4.    Be positive. The attitude you have going into an exam has a significant effect on how you perform on the exam. Staying positive will help you feel confident and perform better. Even if you have a little doubt, putting on a smile and telling yourself that you will ace the exam, will definitely help you make it through and do a lot better on the exam. You worked incredibly hard all quarter and you know you can ace it.

Go out there and ace your finals!

If you need more motivation, here’s Ryan Gosling with a special message just for you. 

My name is Geraldine Nicdao, a UC Santa Cruz '14 Banana Slug Alum. From day one, I was born and raised a U.S. Navy Brat and spent most of my life growing up in Japan. A few things that I absolutely love are steak, fashion, and travel. I am always striving to go beyond the cookie cutter and constantly defying everybody's expectations. One of my biggest accomplishments to date, would be finishing the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco 2013. Not many know this, but I also was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and so I've had my fair challenges balancing the life of a college student and the obstacles of health. My philosophy is: "work hard and play harder" because I believe that self care is important which includes rewarding yourself for the hard work that you do- "treat yo' self!". Looking at my Instagram will give you a bit of an insight to my fun and busy bee life. One of my current projects includes the #BangingBootyProject which is a document of my goals, efforts, and strides on my own health and fitness journey. Over the next few years, I am planning to pursue a second degree in Communications and PR/Marketing.