This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSC chapter.

What’s dorm life like?

Dorm life is….interesting. I love living on campus, but it’s a lot different now than it used to be. Not as many people live on campus, so it’s generally pretty quiet. The quiet was eerie at first, but now it feels like nothing unusual. The wildlife has really popped off, so there have been a lot more turkey, deer, and coyote sightings! 

Living in the dorms can be especially lonely and isolating. Many new COVID-19 policies have been put into place to help maintain campus health and safety. These new policies are important, but they can feel extremely restrictive, especially for those who have been closely following these new policy guidelines. In addition to these new policies, it’s also required that all students living on campus get covid tests done twice a week. All of this, coupled with most things being closed, can make it feel like the socialization aspect of college isn’t as popping as it used to be. It can sometimes feel like you’re stuck in your room. Meeting after meeting, zoom fatigue is real. For those who want a change of scenery, you can make a reservation at the Stevenson Event Center to get some studying done outside of your room! Since all the libraries and study spaces are closed, this is a great option to change up your daily routine! 

Also, we have to order through an app and pick up our order from the dining hall. The options are limited, so the infamous allergen-free oven roasted chicken thigh is (fortunately) no more. Still, beloved items like the vegan tenders and curly fries are still available! My favorite thing from the dining hall is the vegan chocolate granola bar, so give it a try if you live on campus! 

Should I leave my current partner for someone better?

If you’re asking yourself this question in the first place, it seems like you already know the answer. So, you’re seriously considering, or at least wondering, if you should end your current relationship to pursue someone else. What exactly isn’t working in your current relationship? Do you feel like you’ve simply outgrown them, are they not bringing anymore joy to your life, or is it something else? Regardless of how you answered, let’s now focus on the “someone better” part of this question. Do you have someone specific in mind? If so…leaving your current partner may be the healthiest option for everyone involved. 

How do I manage multiple health issues with school and work?

Managing multiple health issues while still having school and work obligations is definitely difficult, so recognize all your hard work managing everything so far! First, always make sure to prioritize your health and take care of yourself as much as you can. Take care of yourself based on your health needs.

For work, I would recommend talking to your supervisor about any concerns you have. This can be daunting, especially if you aren’t particularly close with them, but it can be a great first step towards prioritizing your health. Hopefully, your supervisor will be understanding and want to help you in any way they possibly can. 

For school, maybe consider taking a leave of absence if your health is becoming too much to handle while staying in school. While this isn’t realistic for everyone, it’s definitely something to consider to ensure that both your health and your schoolwork don’t suffer from one another. However, if you do decide to stay in school, reaching out to the DRC is a great idea if you’re considering enrolling as a part-time student, need additional assistance with classes, dining and housing accommodations, etc. Best of luck, stay healthy and stay thriving!

What do I do to combat the ever growing isolation I feel from my friends as quarantine goes on?

To be super honest, I’m in the same boat. It’s hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, especially since quarantine doesn’t seem like it’s going to end anytime soon. Nevertheless, there’s still plenty you can do to try to alleviate these feelings of isolation. Try to reach out to your friends. This seems obvious, but it’s a lot easier said than done. It can sometimes feel like your friends are always busy, so reaching out to them can feel like you’re annoying them. To make this step seem less daunting, try reaching out in subtle ways at first by sending fun memes or Buzzfeed quizzes you think they’d like. From there you can try to start a conversation that’ll hopefully lead to more connection. Maybe you can ask them if they’ve seen a new movie on Netflix, and invite them to watch it with you through Netflix Party if they haven’t! You can also try hosting powerpoint parties over zoom, virtual baking competitions, and game nights to mix things up! While it may sting if you reach out and no one reciprocates, it’s better to have reached out and know you tried to do something about your situation. It’s important to remember that not reaching out will just leave you exactly where you are now. 

However, friends aren’t always available and sometimes the only person you can hang out with is yourself. Figure out hobbies and things you like to do alone that bring you comfort. Do you enjoy painting, reading, crocheting, or journaling? Whatever your interests are, devolve into hobbies and activities that genuinely bring you joy during these complicated times.

Howdy! I'm Jackie, and I'm a third-year History and Politics double major and Education minor at UCSC. I'm also the Events Director of HerCampus at UCSC. In my free time, I enjoy reading, knitting, listening to 80's music, and squirrel-watching!