This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

The Netflix original series, Heartstopper, is based on Alice Oseman’s graphic novels of the same name. According to her website, the novels started as “a webcomic on Tumblr and Tapas”. With the help of the comic’s fanbase, Oseman was able to raise enough money to publish hard copies of them. Soon after, Hachette Children’s Group mass published the series, enabling it to reach a wider audience.

Netflix has furthered the series’s success by turning the comics into a show with eight episodes, each averaging 30 minutes long. The results were phenomenal.

Taking into account the aesthetic of the original comics, the show incorporates the same animated leaves that decorated the frames of the comics into the frames of the scenes. Not only does Netflix pay homage to the original comics with the use of animated leaves, but they also animate special defining moments in the characters’ lives, almost as if they are bringing the comic series to life. A great instance of this animation is when the character Nick, still confused by his feelings for Charlie and his sexuality, grabs Charlie’s hand while he’s sleeping. There are fireworks that arise at the touch, showing the viewer the affection that Nick is feeling.

Then, there’s the fact that the show doesn’t just focus on Charlie and Nick, the main pairing, but includes friends and supporting characters. Yes, it is mostly about Nick questioning his sexuality and coming to terms with who he is, and who he isn’t, and Charlie as well, but their friends get screen time too.

There’s Elle and Tao, two of Charlie’s best friends, who like each other but aren’t willing to risk their friendship. Then there’s Tara and Darcy, whom Ellie meets at her new school. They’re best friends who have been quietly dating for years. Their storylines focus on them no longer being discrete with their relationship and instead being more open, something Tara struggles with as she feels that people now only view her as a “lesbian”.

My favorite part of the show is Charlie’s sister, who shows up about three times throughout the series, always scaring her younger brother with her silent approach and sudden vocalness. She’s supportive of her brother, never pushing him to say more than he feels comfortable saying and never judging his choices, even when he himself is questioning them.

The homage to its original through use of animation, exploration of character identities, and broad array of characters in Heartstopper, leads to one conclusion. You need to watch Heartstopper on Netflix.

Alexa is a fourth-year English major at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Interests include: listening to music, exploring, and reading.