This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Winter is here, and so is dry skin and chapped lips.

New Girl Nick Miller Frustrated GIF
Giphy / Fox
 As someone who has very dry and sensitive skin, especially during the wintertime, I know first hand how hard it can be to maintain glowy/healthy-looking skin. There was one year where my skin was so dry I was peeling in certain areas; it was bad. Luckily I have learned a couple of things throughout the years, and I am here to share them with you. So, if you are also struggling with dry winter skin, here are some winter skincare tips you should definitely try out.

Humidifier

If you’re going to try any of these tips, make sure it’s this one. The winter air can be so dry and even more so on the skin. I highly recommend investing in a humidifier as it keeps that atmosphere moist, making sure your skin is never dry. Trust me, your skin will be thanking you this winter.

Change Your Moisturizer

Something I have learned in the past years when dealing with dry and sensitive skin is that your skin in the summer is not the same as your skin in the winter. That also means that your skincare routine in the summer should not be the same in the winter. If you’re dealing with dry winter skin, I suggest switching your moisturizer to a thicker, more hydrating one. The First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration is a great moisturizer for the winter.

Add a Face Oil To Your Moisturizer

As mentioned above having the right moisturizer for the winter weather is key. But, if you really like your current moisturizer and don’t want to change it, try adding a couple of drops of your favorite face oil to make it more hydrating. I personally really like adding a few drops of rosehip oil to my moisturizer in the winter.

Use Vaseline

Not only is it important to take care of your face during the winter, but it’s also important to take care of your lips. Make sure you’re taking care of this area and other areas prone to getting dry and chapped. I have tried many chapsticks throughout the years, but the one I keep going back to is always the rose vaseline lip therapy. Not only does it give your lips a slight tint of color, but it also keeps them soft and moisturized. Vaseline is can also be used lightly on areas that tend to get dry in the winter, like around your nostrils. 

Sheet masks

Instead of using clay masks during the winter, invest in sheet masks. These are super hydrating masks, so they’ll keep you looking moisturized and glowy. There are so many sheet masks for different skin types and concerns, making them perfect for the winter weather.

Hand Cream

Don’t skip out on moisturizing your hands this winter. I have experienced first hand (pun not intended) how it feels to have really chapped and dry hands, and it is not fun. So, make sure you are giving some love to your hands and carrying some hand cream wherever you go.

Stay Hydrated

This tip is more of a reminder, but it is still an important tip. No matter what season it is, always make sure to stay hydrated that is the true to healthy and glowing skin.

Always Wear Sunscreen

I know sunscreen appears to be more of a summer thing, but you shouldn’t be skipping out on the sunscreen during the winter either. Sunscreen is essential all year round; it’s what makes sure our skin stays young and healthy for a long while. 

I hope I was able to give some of you some useful tips. These tips helped me maintain moisturized skin all winter long so I hope they work out for anyone who tries them as well because no one wants dry, chapped, and ashy skin. Am I right?

Monica and Rachel high-fiving
Giphy

Alejandra is a fourth year global studies major with a minor in professional writing. She was born in LA and has moved around a lot eventually ending up studying in sunny Santa Barbara. Her hobbies include writing, drawing, and fashion. She also dreams of owning her own clothing line/business.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus