Style

Winter Fashion 2020: How to Stay Warm and Look Hot!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Winter isn’t coming, it’s here. Winter isn’t only the time of year for hot chocolate and cuddly movie nights, but also for warm layers, cute patterns and boots… so. many. boots. While we all know we can depend on the oversized hoodie and leggings classic during the colder months of the year, here are a few trendy and simple winter options we can try if we are feeling the need to step out of our… comfort zone. 

Maybe a Monochromatic Moment.

The monochromatic look is a simple go-to that can make a comfortable or basic winter outfit into a chic look. Just mix together some pieces of the same shade or slightly different variations of that shade, and make it interesting with differing textures or a pattern tossed in!

Live, Laugh…Leather.

Leather jackets are a classic, and are coming in a little stronger than usual this winter. They go with just about everything for an added badass element, and can make nearly any boring outfit look chic and stylish. They’re also a great texture to add to a monochromatic black look, like in the photo on the left. 

Flare it up, baby.

If you’re a little hesitant to jump back into this 70’s trend- or, if your hometown was anything like mine, this highschool trend- try a modern take on it with some flares in other colors and materials, in a cropped style or a subtle flare. I prefer them with a high waist, which can be really flattering.

Dream in Denim.

Denim jackets are an amazing staple for winter; they can be layered over t-shirts, sweaters, dress shirts, and hoodies, and can go with everything from skirts to jeans to leggings. Toss a denim jacket over your casual outfit for an instant trendy vibe (no effort needed)!

P is for Preppy. 

Channel your inner Cher Horowitz with the preppy trend that includes layering, trousers, interesting patterns, bright colors and sets. Keep it modern by mixing trendy preppy pieces with classics, such as a simple, crisp tee shirt with plaid trousers. 

Hope these trends keep you feeling warm and looking hot! …or at least give you some options other than a hoodie.

All Images via Pinterest   

Maddie is a recently graduated English major and is excited to enter the publishing industry.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus