Will Leo Finally Get His Oscar?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you haven’t been living under a rock, you probably have experienced the Internet’s almost two-year obsession with Leonardo DiCaprio’s Oscars, or lack thereof. And if you have been living under a rock, it’s totally fine because Leo STILL hasn’t won the coveted golden statue. 

With Leo’s fifth Oscar nomination, in 2014, for his role in “The Wolf on Wall Street,” and subsequently his fifth Academy Award loss, the Internet almost broke, when we realized this beautiful, talented man has NEVER won an Oscar. I mean who would want to inflict so much heartache and pain on the 90’s heartthrob? (Apparently the members of the Academy).

And as we watched Leo’s loss unfold, the fight for his place amongst the Academy Award winners was ignited, which resulted in one too many memes on the subject.

However, this year, there may be hope, and 2016 might be the year for our Leo. With the box office’s release of “The Revenant,” making over $39.6 million since its release, there has been buzz from the public and critics alike predicting Leo might finally win an Oscar for his role in “The Revenant” as real-life fur trapper Hugh Glass. 

“The Revenant” follows (I promise no spoilers) Hugh Glass as he treks across the wild and blistering cold frontier of 19th century Montana and South Dakota. The film’s mind-blowing retelling of Hugh Glass’ journey has already received three awards at the Golden Globes this Sunday, for best drama, best actor (DiCaprio), and best director (Alejandro González Iñárritu). And last week, the Academy nominated Leo for the sixth time for Best Actor in “The Revenant” and “The Revenant” itself received nominations for 12 awards in total, so the possibility of an Oscar win is not impossible (unless you have Leo’s luck). 

I mean look how adorable and happy Leo looks with his Golden Globe! If only it was an Oscar…

From grueling and harsh weather conditions experienced on location in both Argentina and Canada and near death experiences by both cast and crew while filming, the hard work and dedication to put “The Revenant” on the big screen is something to awe at. I mean Leo actually ate a raw bison liver for a scene because he was worried the prop wouldn’t look as authentic (totally not kidding either). And hopefully, this dedication and heart seen in the movie and by Leo does not go unnoticed by the Academy this year.

Because honestly, I don’t think either the world or Leo can take another Oscar loss. 

My name is Lisa Raub, and I am fourth year here at the University of California Santa Barbara. I am an English Major with a minor in Professional Writing. I studied abroad in Paris and London, traveling everywhere from Belgium to Spain to Italy, basically leaving Europe completely broke but extremely happy. I can often be found with a dog-eared book or an almost illegible journal beside me. When I am not reading or writing, I am usually watching A LOT of Netflix or soaking up the sun. Follow my insta: @lisawantspizza
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.