Life > Academics

Why You Should Take Classes Outside Of Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

As students of a larger public institution, we are often so focused on completing the necessary requirements for our majors that many do not consider enrolling in courses outside of their chosen field of study. It is especially easy for students to box themselves within their major after completing their general education requirements. Education, however, does not come in boxes, and students should feel emboldened to engage with whatever material interests them during their time on campus. 

In the pursuit of a well-rounded, interdisciplinary education, here are five reasons you should consider taking classes outside of your major: 

Indulge in your academic interests. 

Students should never hesitate to enroll in courses that peak their interest for the sole reason of the course not being within or related to their major. Aside from prerequisites when registering for a course (which could potentially be bypassed with an add code after contacting the professor) there are no rules within the university that dictate that students are limited to taking courses within their major. Especially since we are paying for our tuition while pursuing higher education, students should not be afraid to expand their knowledge by entertaining their non-major academic interests. 

Be inspired to double major, minor, specialize, or pursue research. 

Whether it be out of passion or curiosity, completing a course that is typically outside of one’s department can certainly galvanize one to further pursue their interests by double majoring, minoring, specializing, or pursuing research. Though it is certainly not a requirement at UCSB, choosing to take on another major or a minor with intentions of bolstering your expertise or satiating your other passions augments one’s academic career. 

Opportunities like specializing within your department or formally pursuing research under the guidance of campus faculty also allow for students to integrate their interests into their current field of study. Visit your department’s website and make an appointment with your academic advisor to find out what specializations are available and applicable to your interests. Discover unique research opportunities listed under your college’s website and explore grants offered for research at UCSB by the Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities (URCA) office and the Faculty Research Assistance Program (FRAP). Students can also reach out to particular professors they are interested in working with for research opportunities. 

Enhance your understanding of your current field of study. 

Enrolling in courses outside of but related to your department can deepen your understanding of the content you are learning contextually. Transcend the non-existent barrier between Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) majors and humanities majors, by integrating literary, historical, conceptual, and abstractual content into your education. UCSB additionally offers an Interdisciplinary Studies major that allows students to essentially create their own discipline by taking courses within a coherent theme from three or more different departments. 

Engage with your own identities and educate yourself about others’. 

It is easy to feel lost amongst the 24,000+ undergraduate and graduate students attending UCSB. Recenter yourself by actively enrolling in courses that engage with your own social and cultural identifications. Learn more about your native tongue, a new language, or even the science behind language through UCSB’s foreign language and linguistics departments. Acquaint yourself with the historical and cultural background of your own or another ethnicity by enrolling in courses offered by the departments of Asian American Studies, Black Studies, and Chicana/o Studies. Take an introductory feminist studies or sociology course to educate yourself about how gender and racial inequality, socioeconomic disparity, and other sociological institutions impact identities varyingly. 

Break out of the routine of your required courses. 

Taking courses from a single discipline can become tedious and even monotonous throughout one’s college career as we fall into an academic routine. Change things up a bit through enrolling in a course that stimulates your brain in a different way than your typical schedule. Make some room in your schedule for classes that requires the utilization of your creativity. 

Although often unacknowledged by the general population, I chose to major in English because of the interdisciplinary approach studying literature requires. I have always been keen towards psychology, philosophy, Asian American studies, and feminist studies, and opted to enroll in courses within these departments. In broadening the contextual and intersectional analysis I provide to my literary studies, taking courses outside of my own major has prepared me for the Literature and Mind specialization. My focus on the psychological, philosophical, and psychoanalytical analysis of literature has additionally inspired me to conduct research through an honors thesis where I am currently engaging with the knowledge I gained from these disciplines. 

Although it may seem daunting to enroll in atypical courses from your chosen department, actively engaging with various types of content from different disciplines will enhance the education you receive as a student at UCSB. When registering for classes next quarter, consider taking a class outside of your major’s department!

Hi, I'm Kaitlyn! I'm an English major at UCSB with a specialization in Lit and Mind that involves the psychological, philosophical, and psychoanalytical analysis of literature. When I'm not reading, I love to play RPGs, visit museums, and try out new recipes. I'm so excited to contribute to UCSB's HC platform by provoking conversations about issues I am deeply passionate about such as mental health, xenophobia, and gender equality.