Style > Beauty

Why You Should Make Your Beauty Routine Cruelty Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Back in community college, I had to take a public speaking communication class as part of the general education.  Despite hating public speaking, it surprisingly turned out to be one of my easiest and most rewarding classes. We had to pick a topic that we felt needed to be given more awareness. At this time in my life, I had really gotten into skincare, but I was still figuring out what worked for me.

I happened to stumble upon the PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) website and was shocked by the amount of animal testing that happens behind the scenes of many of the name-brand products we use daily. It was shocking. I immediately felt like I needed to shine more light on this topic. Presenting my research to the class made me feel like I was doing something right, and it wasn’t just for a grade anymore. I wanted to make a change in my own life so I decided to transition my skincare and makeup products into cruelty-free and natural ones.

I then began watching beauty YouTubers who tested out new cruelty-free products and gave reviews on them. I found it fascinating to learn about this whole other world of beautiful and well-made products that hadn’t been tested on any animals but were just as effective as ones that had been, if not more.

The choice to go cruelty-free was a great decision for me so let’s get into the reasons why you should consider switching your routine asap!

1. Animals worldwide are subjected to horrible tests.

Image via Plant Based News

I won’t get too into detail, but think about how much pain innocent bunnies, mice, monkies, and even cats and dogs have to endure in order to test whether a cosmetic is effective. They’re tortured and then tossed aside, leaving them with physical and mental trauma. This is the number one reason I made a change; we shouldn’t EVER be treating animals this way and it horrifies me that we still do. It’s inhumane, cruel, and is not even proved to be effective.

2. There are so many great underrated brands out there!

Image via Lucy Moon

Next time you walk into Sephora or Ulta, browse the cruelty-free or vegan products section. You’ll be amazed at the variety to choose from. Sometimes, the packaging is a lot cuter than bigger name-brands! I don’t know about you, but I’m a lot more likely to purchase products with aesthetically pleasing and fun packaging, especially if they’re cruelty-free.

3. You’ll leave feeling good about yourself

Image via Storyblocks

After making the choice to purchase a cruelty-free product, I always leave the store feeling like I’ve made a small step in preventing animal testing. When we purchase an animal-tested product, such as Dove body wash, we are inadvertently funding the research facilities who perform these tests. So next time you’re shopping, consider where your money is going!

I’m not saying you must go switch out all your products right away. I’m only hoping to create awareness about animal testing and how easy it is to make a change. Plus, it’s a good excuse to do some shopping. Websites like Peta, Cruelty Free International, and Cruelty Free Kitty have lists of which products are and are not tested on animals and lots of other crucial info. If you aren’t sure how to approach finding cruelty free products in the store, just read the labels! Some of them simply say “not animal tested”, or you can look for the three main bunny logos which are universally recognized logos for cruelty-free products. If you’re still not 100% sure, it can’t hurt to do some further research just in case companies aren’t being completely honest.Image via Nolisoli

If you decide “I can’t live without my Pantene shampoo or Maybelline mascara,” that’s cool. If you decide you’re going to throw out all your old products and buy a whole new set of cruelty free ones? That’s cool too. Sometimes a certain product is a staple in our routine and we just can’t let it go. I totally understand; going completely cruelty-free is a process. But even though it may not feel like it has a big impact, if we keep encouraging others to make the same changes and spread awareness, it can be enough to end animal testing for good.

Lorraine is a small business owner and graduate from UCSB with a major in Sociology. She loves photography, earring-making, writing, editing and music and is passionate about cruelty free skincare and makeup as well as becoming a successful business woman. You can usually find her binging comfort shows on Netflix for the 3,000th time, creating Spotify playlists for every mood, and dreaming about Harry Styles.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.