This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you find yourself repeatedly in search of a new show to watch, then look no further because I can guarantee that The Handmaid’s Tale is the answer.

The Handmaid’s Tale is the Hulu original adaption of the Margaret Atwood novel, and it’s sure to bring a sense of melancholy and intensity into your lives, for it isn’t necessarily an easy show to watch. The show focuses on the lead character, Offred, portrayed by the talented Elisabeth Moss, who finds herself separated from her family and forced into sexual servitude in order to survive in a new terrifying, totalitarian society that treats women as property of the state.

The audience is taken through Offred’s journey under an oppressive fundamentalist regime, where she finds herself following the rules to survive, while also breaking them in order to find her way back home to her family. You’ll find yourself yearning for her freedom and triumph, but also coping with her pain and sadness.

You’ll laugh, cry, sympathize for the characters, and maybe even want to throw things at your television! So if you’re looking for feel-good shows about happiness and comedy, this show is probably not for you. But if you enjoy dark, twisted, edgy dramas about a woman fighting against a dystopian patriarchal society, then say hello to your new favorite show!

Here are a couple of reasons why this show is sure to catch your attention:

​1. The Talented Female Cast

Image Credit Giphy

Not only does the show have Elisabeth Moss as the lead- who won an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for this very role – but it also incudes other talented actresses. The cast includes Orange is the New Black natives Samira Wiley and Madeline Brewer, Gilmore Girls‘ Alexis Bledel, Emmy-winner Ann Dowd, and Yvonne Strahovski. Their dedication and passion for each and every role played in this series is nothing short of sheer talent and power. The actresses truly give it their all to bring such important stories to life: stories that differ from one another in several ways, but stories that are detrimental to the series overall. The talent and passion in every character brings the series to life and keeps audiences engaged and fully committed . Don’t believe me? I’m sure the several Emmys won so far in just two short seasons will convince you.

2. You’ll be hooked from the very first episode

Image Credit Giphy

We all know the first episode of a series is perhaps the most important of all. It sets the tone for the show and introduces us to the story and the characters. It allows us to make the choice of whether to keep invested in the show or completely abandon it and find something new to watch. Not only are you introduced to Offred’s terrifying journey from the very start, but you are also forced to watch how a terrifying dystopian totalitarian society oppresses and dehumanizes women without any explanation to how such a ghastly regime came into power. It leaves you wanting more. You’ll ask questions and constantly want to know how this future unfolds and how O ffred’s journey turns out.

3. Serena Joy

Image Credit Giphy

Perhaps one of the biggest reasons why I love this show so much is because of Yvonne Strahovski’s portrayal of Serena Joy in the series. Serena Joy is a major character in The Handmaid’s Tale. She plays the Wife of Commander Fred, another important character on the series, who is using Offred to try and obtain a child since she is unable to conceive herself. Serena’s primary goal throughout the entire series is to become a parent to a healthy baby by any means possible. She is intelligent, beautiful, terrifying and one of the most intense characters to say the least.

Throughout the show, Serena does plenty of awful things that deem her a primary villain in the story and a torturer to Elisabeth Moss’ “Offred” character. We discover the reasons for the awful acts she commits and the attitudes she exemplifies throughout the story, but we also witness her shift into an understanding and truly powerful woman. We sympathize with her for being a smart, capable, and powerful woman trapped under a patriarchal society, but we also criticize her for the darkness that lays within her during some of the shows most prominent scenes. She is truly one of the best characters to ever grace the television show industry.

There are, of course, several more reasons why this show is so interesting. However, I don’t want to spoil it, so with that being said, start binge watching!

Saira is currently a fourth-year student at the University of California, Santa Barbara where she is studying Sociology and pursuing a professional certificate in Journalism. Saira's ambition to work in the entertainment and journalism field after college is what originally sparked her interest in joining the Her Campus team.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.