Life > Experiences

Why You Should Add Wyoming To Your 2024 Travel Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Get your cowboy boots on, ladies! If you’re brainstorming where to travel this summer, I would highly consider adding Wyoming, the “Cowboy State,” to your 2024 travel bucket list. 

Despite some internet speculation and absurd conspiracy theories, Wyoming is indeed a real state and a real place. In fact, my family decided to move to Cody, a town in northern Wyoming, a few years ago. 

Initially, I thought their choice to move to Wyoming was questionable. Since I had grown up in California, traveling there for the first time was a total culture shock. However, I’ve come to discover that Wyoming is full of extraordinary wildlife and breathtaking scenery, and is home to the Rodeo Capital of the World (in Cody, Wyoming)!

Although it is the least populated state in America, there is a lot to do there. If you’re visiting in the summertime (which I would strongly advise, as winters are freezing cold), there is a lot to do outdoors. Wyoming is also home to multiple wonders of the Seven Natural Wonders of North America, including Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. 

girl smile happy colorado travel mountains hiking trees
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Wyoming is best known for Yellowstone National Park. In fact, Yellowstone welcomed over four million visitors in the year 2023. This wonder of the world is truly one of a kind and unlike anything you’ve seen before. While driving through the park, it’s essential to have a good pair of binoculars because you’re going to want an up-close view of all the wildlife. You can expect to see plenty of bison, antelope, and elk, and if you’re lucky, you can see a few bears. Yellowstone is home to hundreds of different animals! 

The park is also home to Old Faithful, a famous erupting geyser. There are hundreds of hot springs and geysers spread all throughout the park. It’s clear why this national park in Wyoming is a popular destination for tourists all over the world. 

If you’re going to Yellowstone, you’ll also want to spend some time in downtown Cody, Wyoming, just about fifty miles from the Yellowstone East Gate. Every summer in Cody, visitors from all over come to see the Rodeo Capital of the World. Don’t forget a pair of cowboy boots and a cowboy hat! The Cody rodeo is a fun, lively, and entertaining experience, and you won’t want to miss it. 

Aside from the rodeo, there is a lot to explore in historic downtown Cody. There are plenty of western-style boutiques and steakhouse restaurants throughout the main strip downtown. I highly recommend eating dinner at Irma’s, the Buffalo Bill’s Irma Hotel restaurant. This restaurant is my family’s personal favorite and offers a very “Wyoming” dining experience with lots of meaty menu options. 

Another must-see in Wyoming is the Grand Teton National Park. If you’re a Kanye West fan, you might recognize this incredible mountain range from his 2018 album cover for Ye. The Grand Teton mountain range, like Yellowstone, is filled with wildlife and beautiful scenery. 

Adventure Roadtrip Mountains Traffic National Parks Fun Hiking Camping
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

You can take a road trip directly through Yellowstone to get to the Tetons, too. However, this route is closed during the winter season due to the harsh weather conditions.

Jackson Hole, Wyoming, is the town closest to the Grand Teton National Park, and it attracts a lot of tourism as well. If you’re a skier, you can hit the slopes when it snows; Jackson Hole has plenty of ski resorts nearby for winter sports lovers. If you’re more of an indoor person, there are many shops and a variety of dining options. There’s even a cowboy-themed coffee shop called Cowboy Coffee with the best iced vanilla lattes in the heart of Jackson Hole.

So, if you’re looking for places to travel, I would highly recommend opening your mind to the Wild West and visiting Wyoming. I may be biased since my family lives there and I get the privilege of calling Cody, Wyoming, my home, but it’s a place you can truly find beauty anywhere and everywhere.

Hi, I'm Erin! I am a fourth year film and media studies student here at UCSB. I'm originally from northern California but moved to Wyoming last summer. When I'm not busy with schoolwork or my part-time retail job, I enjoy thrifting, film photography, and journaling. I'm stoked to be an editorial intern for Her Campus and can't wait for what's to come this year.