This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

This Christmas, I was given a skincare mini-fridge by my roommate: an unexpected gift, but now I don’t know how I lived without it. After having moderate acne for a portion of my high school life, struggling with genetic dark circles and dry skin, I’ve tried every skincare product/solution imaginable. Several dermatologists and skincare brands later, I write to you with a clear face and a stable routine. 

Benefits to Your Skin

Using cold products over the past few weeks, I’ve noticed a significant improvement in the puffiness of my face in the mornings. I have a clear quartz roller that I keep in the fridge, and let me tell you, I look like a different person when I finish rolling my face. Dermatologist Howard Sobel says “it can minimize puffiness for under-eye bags,” and he recommends using cold products to decrease other forms of irritation in your skin, such as acne. The cooling feeling wakes you up in the morning and relaxes you in the evening, soothing your skin. 

Benefits to Your Products

If you’re like me, you’ve also probably noticed that your products expire faster than you can use them, which can result in spending more money. However, a one-time investment on a skin fridge can increase your products’ shelf life, saving you money in the long run. Doctor Jaliman says that many products should not be kept in warm environments and that the fridge can make them last longer. Living in an apartment in Isla Vista sans air conditioning, I’m no stranger to a warm environment, and hopefully, this will help extend the life of my products. 

Investing in Yourself

A fridge holding a full skincare routine may seem excessive and burdensome to some, but it’s more than just a practical use for your skin. We all love a luxurious moment to ourselves, a few minutes to prepare for the day, or wind down in the evening. There’s something relaxing and rewarding about taking that time to solely focus on yourself, it’s worth the investment in selfcare.

If I have yet to convince you, I suggest you pop some sheet masks into your regular refrigerator and see how you and your skin feel after. Trust me, you’ll want to get your hands on a countertop skin fridge soon. 

Sophia Lovell is a third year Philosophy and English double major at UCSB. She is originally from San Diego, but embraces Isla Vista as her second home. Her passions include trying not to kill her houseplants, cold brew, and dismantling the patriarchy.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus