Wellness

Why Women’s Body Hair is None of Your Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

What’s the one thing that inconveniences us, women, most yet find ourselves doing routinely? Yes, I’m talking about shaving. There are many justified reasons to shave such as you like the look of it and the feel of it, but that’s a decision for you to make.

Today, it seems as if people believe the women’s body hair is a debate. Why is it any of their business? The only person who should be concerned about a woman’s body hair is the woman the body hair is attached to. Due to many pressures instilled by a patriarchal society, women shave their bodies to avoid certain notions attached to feminity. Having body hair doesn’t make you any less of a woman, no matter what anyone else has to say. 

With shaving comes itching, razor bumps, and overall discomfort when it ultimately grows back. Hold up, if women really aren’t supposed to have body hair, then why does it keep growing back? A shaving routine is no easy task. It usually starts with an exfoliant to fight razor bumps (they will appear regardless), an expensive shaving gel (will probably rust in your tub), a high-end razor (you’ll have to replace every 5-10 shaves), and lastly an after-shaving serum (that will probably burn). Some women can’t get a clean shave because their hair is so thick, causing them to have a shorter time between shaves. All you hairy sisters out there, I feel you! In the summertime, it’s even worst because going into the salt water ocean after shaving is pure torture.

Image via Afropunk

Winter is basically the woman’s equivalent to men’s No Shave November. We are all bundled up in sweaters and jeans with no body hair in sight. In some cases, body hair could dictate what you wear. You could want to wear shorts on a sunny day, but you forgot to shave. God forbid someone sees that you grow body hair. This should never be the case. If you are comfortable with your body hair being out, that’s all that matters. Your body hair shouldn’t be anyone else’s concern. 

There are definitely people who have strong opinions on women’s body hair. They deem body hair as masculine and unsanitary. If women don’t comment on men’s body hair, then why can men comment on theirs? It doesn’t add up, but so do a lot of things that are socially constructed. Who decided that body hair could only be acceptable for men? Why do women have to be targeted and judged so harshly when they don’t conform to these beauty standards? With this judgment comes body hair shaming that tears down women who simply do not want to shave the hair that naturally grows from their body. 

Image via HuffPost 

Shape.com asked 10 women why they decided to embrace their body hair. There were multiple reasons why women decided to stop shaving: they felt more liberated, wanted to make a statement about beauty standards, were tired of razor burns, and simply because it was her choice. It all comes back to choice. 

As women, we need to uplift and empower one another. Protect a woman’s choice. Internalized misogyny is on the rise and as women so we need to work to protect one another. We should not be putting each other down because that’s exactly what society wants us to do. Whether you have body hair or not, neither makes you more of a woman because nothing can take that away from you. Body hair is natural, let’s not live in a world where it’s not. Let your body hair grow or don’t, that’s the beauty of it—it’s your decision.  Image via Ben Hopper 

Hello, I'm Viv a Sociology Senior at UC Santa Barbara. I am a proud dog mom of four, avid concert-goer, and constant chipotle eater. I'm an aspiring journalist and I love being part of the HerCampus team. 
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.