Why We Should Have Seen The Ariana and Pete Break-up Coming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson have reportedly broken up, and can you honestly say you’re surprised? Their relationship will go down in history as one of the craziest things to happen in 2018 and it only lasted five months! Now, I know that a lot of people were pulling for Ariana and Pete to make it and are now thinking that love is dead, but just for the record, it’s not. Ariana and Pete’s love story raised quite a few red flags. To break it down, I present to you their (short) relationship timeline.Image via Cosmopolitan

Early May 2018 — Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Call it Quits

Image via People

After almost two years of dating and one year since the Manchester Bombing, Ariana and Mac publicly break up. Many fans blamed Ariana for the break-up and in a social media post, Ariana says that she loves Mac but that the relationship was “toxic,” stating that women shouldn’t be blamed for a man not being able to get his life together. Mac Miller had a known substance abuse issue.

May 21st, 2018 — Ariana Reportedly Started Dating Pete Davidson

The internet basically imploded when news hit that international pop-star, Ariana Grande, was dating Pete Davidson less than a month after her break-up with Mac Miller. And many fans wondered — who is Pete Davidson? As an avid Saturday Night Live (SNL) fan, I can tell you exactly who he is. Pete is one of the youngest cast members of the 44-year-old comedy special. He is a talented, dark comedian that often uses comedic material from his past and his mental health struggle with borderline personality disorder. 

May 23rd, 2018 — Ariana and Pete Get Their First Matching Tattoo

Image via Elle

After only publicly dating for two days, the couple is spotted sporting matching tattoos, the first of many to come from their relationship. Too soon? You be the judge.

June 15th, 2018 — The Couple’s Engagement is Confirmed

Image via Yahoo

After less than a month of dating, the couple confirms their engagement on instagram. While photos surfaced everyday of the two being cute and in love, fans couldn’t help but think that this step was too soon.

June 22nd, 2018 — The Big D*** Energy Meme

After Ariana confirms a certain—measurement—on social media, the internet did what is does best—creates a viral meme.

August 17th, 2018 — “Sweetener” Drops with Song “Pete Davidson”

Ariana devoted a whole song on her instant hit album “Sweetener” to her love, Pete Davidson. The comedian later referred to the song on a segment of SNL stating that 10 years from now (if they break-up) he will be working at Walmart while the song plays in the background. Foreshadowing much?

Image via The Washington Post

September 29th, 2018 — SNL Season Premiere

Saturday Night Live returns and of course, everyone wants to hear about Pete’s summer. Throughout the show, his relationship is brought up several times, including on the segment “Weekend Update” when Pete jokes about replacing Ariana’s birth control with tic-tacs. But was this a harmless joke?

October 14th, 2018 — TMZ Reports that the Couple has Broken Up

After about five months of dating, the two call it quits. Neither party has offered a statement as to why they broke up, but this hasn’t stopped fans from speculating. From all the evidence out there, this relationship seemed to get too serious too fast. Many are pinning the split due to Mac Miller’s death- and while that could very well be a contributing factor- I get the sense that there is more to the story.

Image via Business Insider

While we may never know the real reason they broke up, the signs were as plain as day. I’d like to think of their relationship as a cautionary tale AND one of the most iconic things to happen in 2018.

Megan Castiel is a third-year Biological Sciences major and Professional Writing and Applied Psychology double minor at UC Santa Barbara. She is from Thousand Oaks, California and loves cooking, traveling, and binge watching shows. As an editorial intern, she plans to develop her writing skills for a future in public health.
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.