jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why a One Date Stand is Better than a One Night Stand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

When you want the romantic aspects of a relationship without the pressure of being in one, what options do you have? One night stands would be a popular choice, but have you ever explored the concept of a one date stand? It’s everything that would make you want to go on a second date, with a catch. You don’t. Here are five reasons why one date stands are better than one night stands.

1. The great conversations, hand-holding, and cuddling, minus the pressure to have sex.

There seems to be a stereotype about casual dating–a lot of people assume you’re in it for the casual sex too. While that’s the case for some, it is definitely not for others. Sometimes a girl just misses the puppy love–cuddling at the movies, and holding hands when you go out. A one date stand allows you do all the cliche couple things you’ve seen only in movies.

2. That being said, there’s always the option of having sex!

Just because you went in with the intention of not having sex doesn’t mean you can’t change your mind! With a one night stand, the endgame clear—hooking up. But with one date stands, there is no end game, and as long as there’s clear communication of what you both want, anything is possible.

3. It’s the experience of a first date with the intimacy of a third date.

Because there’s no pressure to go out with each other again, the initial awkwardness found on a first date is minimized. Everything’s done in the moment, with no worries of how it’ll impact a potential second date, let alone a relationship. So go ahead—hold hands, kiss, tell each other about your hopes and dreams. Now’s the time to be vulnerable, because you have nothing to lose!

4. You end the night with a new friend, not a number you don’t text anymore.

On a one date stand, you should still have the same expectations as a regular date–you’d want it to be with someone you click with, have similar interests with, and have fun with. If the date goes well, it’s clear you two are compatible–not necessarily to be in a relationship, but as friends! Instead of parting ways with someone you barely got to know, it’ll be with someone that you spent a whole night getting to know.

5. And when you realize you do want to be in a relationship, you know who to hit up.

Just like how a one date stand doesn’t rule out the possibility of sex, there’s no policy that it strictly has to remain just a one date stand. Who knows—maybe after being friends, or even after that very night, you’ll feel inspired to try dating seriously! Of course, it depends if he/she feels the same, but even if they don’t, you’ll know what to look for the next time you go on a date.

So the next you want to be intimate, ask yourself how you want to do so. Instead of just another meaningless hookup, try going on a one date stand! As long as you’re clear and vocal about what you want, there’s no way it won’t be a good time.

All images via www.giphy.com

Katie is an incoming fourth year Communication major at UCSB. Having spent the majority of her life in LA, she's been spoiled by the diversity of food choices at home. But she loves the sunny beaches and college bubble found in Santa Barbara, and can't wait to live on Del Playa next year. When she's not hanging out with her friends, you can find her trying out new recipes or watching vlogs on YouTube. Keep up with Katie on her Instagram @kaythuang!
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)