Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why It’s Okay NOT To Have A Boyfriend In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

I feel like there is a stereotype that comes along with college: you must find the love of your life during your college years. I think that people associate college with this “bubble of time” when everything you ever wanted to do has to happen now. But honestly, who says that everything has to happen now.

Image via

I have learned a lot from the women in my life and one important thing is that it all starts by loving yourself. Gaining your own independence takes time to establish who you are in college and accept yourself as a growing woman. I believe that everything happens for a reason. People grow, mature, and learn so much during college. Surrounding yourself with passionate, motivated, and positive people won’t make you feel that you have to fill a “void” in your life because you already have such a great support system backing you up.

Now this is much easier said than done, but baby steps ladies, baby steps. Get out of your comfort zone and meet new people. Explore a new coffee shop and make conversation with the person next to you; you never know who you will meet. If you are constantly searching for that special someone, you are going to consistently find yourself in disappointment and focus your time on something other than what is most important, YOU!

Let things happen naturally, it seems to find its way on its own. Confidence is one of the most attractive traits people see in others. Walk the streets with your head high and people will look at you differently. Another easy tip, smiling just makes you appear even more beautiful than you already are. So ladies, I know that having a significant other in your life is super appealing, but always remember that YOU come first. If you focus on yourself, everything will fall into place!

Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.