timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why It Is Okay to Be a Late Bloomer in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

There seems to be this idea that every person in college goes in with at least some relationship experience. This actually isn’t always the case. Whether you’re still a virgin, have yet to have your first real relationship, or still haven’t had your first kiss, here a few reasons why it is perfectly okay, and even normal, to be a late bloomer in college.

You’ve been able to focus on yourself.

By waiting it out, you have had the time to really discover yourself and work on self-love. The number one rule of the dating world (as told by RuPaul) is “if you don’t love yourself, how the hell you gonna love somebody else?”

You have an idea of what qualities you like and don’t like in people.

Through all the people you have met, and possibly from living vicariously through your friends’ relationships, you have a decent idea of what kind of relationship you want. You know exactly what qualities bother you (as discovered when living with your roommates) and what qualities you find attractive in people.

You have less awkward encounters.

Considering you don’t have any exes or former hookups, you don’t have to worry about awkwardly running into them or having to avoid them at all costs. Not to mention being able to avoid the awkward conversations that arise if they notice you; #DramaFreeZone.

You’re going to appreciate everything that much more.

Sure, it sucks watching everyone you know getting into relationships, and it’s hard not to feel a little jealous or lonely. But trust me, there is someone waiting out there for you. And when you find them, you’re going to have such a high amount of appreciation for them and everything you guys do together. 

Deyana Gorman is a second year pre-biology major at the University of California Santa Barbara from Simi Valley, California. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Deyana can usually be found watching her favorite youtubers, hanging out with friends, playing video games, brushing up on her photography skills, or doing activities with her sorority sisters. She plans on one day studying abroad in Italy, Ireland, and Australia as well as going on road trip adventures throughout California.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay