Culture > News

Why Cycle 24 of America’s Next Top Model is Everything for Diversity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

‘All shapes, all sizes, all colors’– this was international supermodel and judge Tyra Banks’ motto for cycle 24 of America’s Next Top Model. In an attempt to break the traditionally rigid boundaries of modeling, this cycle’s case of models represents everything but the norm. From curvy to tan, older, and pro-Trump, ANTM is serving us all kinds of diversity! Let’s take a look at some of this cycle’s stand-out contestants.  

1. Liberty Netuschil

Pro Trump and proud, blonde hair and blue-eyed Liberty failed to blow the judging panel away during casting week. However, seeing her potential beyond another pretty face, Tyra gave her another shot at becoming America’s Next Top Model.

Image via VH1

2. Jeana Turner

This  24-year-old queen from Minneapolis, Minnesota is on the journey of embracing her bald beauty. Diagnosed with alopecia (hair loss due to a malfunctioning immune system), Jeana is being encouraged to take off her signature wigs and start using her look to take outstanding, high fashion photos and slay the competition.

Image via VH1

3. Khrystyana Kazakova

Not only is Khrystyana representing plus-sized beauties in media, but she also does so in her everyday life by identifying as a body activist. She fights for equal treatment and opportunities for women of all sizes.

Image via VH1

4. Erin Green

Having put modeling on the back-burner to raise her kids, 42 year-old mom Erin is coming into her own as a both a model and role model for her children. Her goal is to show both her children and the world that success and beauty know no age.

Image via VH1

We’re so happy to see this cycle of ANTM representing all the many forms beautiful comes in! Because on this cycle of ANTM, diversity is on top.

Isabelle is a third-year Gaucho who has never met a dog she didn't like. She's tackling a double major in Communication and Psychology as well as minors in Art & Technology and Education. In her free time, Isabelle enjoys sipping boba, snapping photos, and spending time with her amazing partner.
Hi, Collegiettes! I'm Carmen, a Communication major at University of California, Santa Barbara and one of two Campus Correspondents for UCSB. I would love to one day work in either fashion, food, tech, financial services or philanthropy. My dream is to find a job that somehow combines several of those elements. Until I get there, I'll be munching on copious amounts of Trader Joe's dried mango, jamming out to my man, Frank Sinatra, and focusing on creating intriguing content! If you like my writing, talk to me. ;)