This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

In an overly curated world of social media, it can be hard to remember to pause and take in the unique, raw moments of our lives. The ever-growing number of social media platforms causes us to create, and consume, copious amounts of perfectly planned content. Amidst the sea of orchestrated posts from Snapchat, Instagram, TikTok, and other sites emerges a new way to connect with friends: BeReal. This platform aims to shake up your online interactions, by, well, keeping it real! 

BeReal is “not another social network,” according to their App Store bio. The platform aims to give its users an unfiltered, unembellished peek inside their friends’ lives. Their description claims that “BeReal is life, Real life, and this life is without filters.”

Every day, once a day, at a random time, the BeReal App summons its users to share what they are up to. Once the notification, “Time to BeReal” pops up on your phone, it’s time to snap a photo to show your friends what you’re up to at that very moment. The camera takes the photo both ways, incorporating a selfie and a photo of your surroundings.

The catch is that you only have two minutes to snap your post. Also, be careful — other BeReal users can see when you screenshot their posts, and how many times you retake your photo! 

Friends on the app can comment on your photos with a “Realmoji,” which is essentially a photo of yourself in the comments reacting to your friend’s post. 

If you miss the notification, don’t worry! You can always post a late BeReal. But, you won’t be able to see what your friends have posted until you make your own post!

When the next BeReal notification is sent out the next day, your previous post will no longer be able to be viewed by your friends. However, it is saved to your memories for you to reminisce upon!

As a daily user of this app for a few months now, I genuinely enjoy interacting with my friends on it more than any other social platform. I also appreciate its emphasis on being grounded in reality rather than in striving to portray perfection, like the pressures of other social platforms. 

I’ve since gotten my roommates in on the BeReal kick! My roommate, Hailey Nanassy, notes that “BeReal is awesome, I look forward to it every day! It is such a breath of fresh air on social media,” and I couldn’t agree more. 

I know when I get my BeReal notification, I am always elated to share what I’m up to. Whether I’m at the beach, at an event, or watching YouTube in bed, I love to share on BeReal because of the laid-back, chill, and comfortable culture that the app promotes. I also take some time to scroll through and check up on my friends. I love receiving and leaving “Reactmojis,” and commenting on friends’ posts. I’ve also realized that on BeReal, I don’t find myself in an endless, mindless scrolling session (*cough, TikTok), or comparing myself to others (*cough, Instagram). 

BeReal is truly changing the social media game. From bringing friends closer together, to promoting a non-toxic online environment, BeReal is a platform everyone should jump into!

Eva is Her Campus at UCSB’s Editor in Chief, as well as a third year Communication major at UC Santa Barbara, where she writes about anything and everything she feels is exciting, fascinating, or entertaining. When she isn't writing for Her Campus, she is usually overthinking, working on one of her projects, or listening to Taylor Swift.