What You Can Do About Abortion Rights From California

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

On May 4, 2022, Politico released the Supreme Court draft opinion overturning Roe V. Wade. If this decision is made official in June, it’s anticipated that over 25 states will either ban or heavily restrict abortion. On May 11th, California Governor Gavin Newsom released a statement reassuring Californians that “… we’re going to fight like hell, making sure that all women – not just those in California – know that this state continues to recognize and protect their fundamental rights…” While most Californian legislators plan to defend abortion rights, what can California residents do to stand up for the states where this isn’t the case?

1.) Be Vocal and Show Dissent

Though our state representatives and legislators plan to support reproductive justice, expressing your disagreement with anti-abortion laws is still essential. Attending protests, posting on social media, and engaging in community conversations are all ways you can influence the country’s political landscape. The more publicity that is given to this political unrest, the more likely it is that legislators and voters will consider pro-choice demands. 

2.) Educate Yourself and Spread the Knowledge

Your convictions can make an impact. Sharing your knowledge can have a rippling effect on the people in your network and the individuals they are connected to across the nation. Having accurate information will allow you to best address the issue at hand. Background knowledge will also give you persuasive power as you share your thoughts. Additionally, by staying curious and following the news coverage around abortion rights, you can help circulate impactful articles, podcasts, and other informative media.

3.) Re-Post Information Regarding Voter Registration and Election Dates

Share media that encourages people across the country to register to vote and attend their state primaries and midterms. Many of the state primaries will occur from the end of May through the start of September. If you have the time, you can even volunteer with UCSB’s non-partisan voter registration drive. Join the Guachos Vote Coalition by contacting its director Viviana Marsano. Though the majority of Americans support abortion access, this will not be reflected in state representation if voters do not participate!

4.) Vote to Support and Prepare California Abortion Clinics

The California state legislator has proposed thirteen bills to increase and strengthen abortion access. If passed, these bills will prepare California’s abortion clinics to receive the influx of out-of-state patients. Additionally, these bills will ensure that patients receive the financial assistance needed to travel to California. As we approach the state primaries and midterms, research which candidates support reproductive care and look out for propositions that will affirm these bills.

5.) Donate

Donate to out-of-state abortion funds. These organizations provide financial assistance for patients’ travel arrangements and abortion care. RollingStone and The Cut have created comprehensive lists with links that direct you to these organizations’ donation pages.

6.) Take Care of Yourself

While you may feel the urge to put all of your energy toward reproductive justice, this is not a sustainable strategy for change. Social justice battles often entail more than one’s time and effort. They usually involve intense emotional investment. Because of this, activist burnout is widespread. If you go out guns-a-blazing, your initial enthusiasm can ultimately impede the movement’s progress. Prioritize self-care and maintain a balanced approach towards your emotional and energetic output. Unfortunately, the draft leak is just the beginning of this fight. 

Every individual is entitled to adequate health care and bodily autonomy, not just those living in blue states. It should not be a luxury to have our legislators and representatives recognize uterus-bearers’ fundamental rights. If Roe V. Wade is overturned in June, this will be the case. If you feel outraged by this possibility, do not lose hope. Your advocacy work can help people across the nation receive the care they need.

Hi! I'm Kylie McCreary. I am a fourth year English major at UCSB. Whether it is through the performing arts, writing, or podcasting, I enjoy examining and questioning modern culture. I especially love to investigate the ways it is shaping gender roles, health, and psychology! I'm excited to put these thoughts into articles with Her Campus UCSB.