This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If your mother is anything like mine, the holiday period would be in shambles without her. From the turkey stuffing, the tree trimming, and the present purchases, the holidays just highlight everything mothers do for us all year round. 

So this Christmas, why not do something nice for her that you know she’ll appreciate? This way, she can receive back a fraction of that love she shares all around the family.

Here are some ideas of things you can do/gift to make your mother’s holidays shine. 

Experience Day

Does your mother always use phrases such as: ‘I’ve always wanted to ….’, ‘ I wish I had the time to … ‘, or ‘Wouldn’t it be fun if we …’? Well, now you have the power to make her dreams come true! Book the adventure that she never would for herself! Make. It. Happen. From bungee jumping, to horseback riding, to white water rafting, the list of possibilities is endless. 

Or, if your mother is not so much the adventurous type, you could always follow more of a creative route. You may choose to take her to a concert, a theatre show, or a festival. 

If you prefer to keep it super low-key, you could always gift her a pamper session such as an at-home spa day or getting her hair or nails done. You could even do something as simple as taking her out for dinner.

The important thing is finding something that she would not think of or do for herself, but that you know she would love to do! 

Gift Cards

Although gift cards are a bit basic, they can still be sentimental! This is a great idea, especially if you are living away from home, as it means the gift continues past the point of receiving! 

Gift cards are such a treat when they are thoughtful and catered to the individual. You could get one for her favorite coffee shop that she goes to all the time. Maybe you could contribute to something she is trying to save for: restaurants, favorite retail stores, spas, cafes, the possibilities are endless.

The key to making a gift card sentimental is the justification as to why. Really think about what she wants and would need and… every time she uses the card she’ll think of you! 

Pyjamas

After a long day of keeping everyone else together, the thing that most mothers look forward to, is getting into bed. A great idea to make this longed-for experience that bit more glamorous, is to treat her to a nice pair of pyjamas to slip into. A warm shower, a cup of tea, and a good pyjama set will make her feel beyond relaxed. 

Here are some options for a snuggly night:

J Crew Long Sleeve

Target Short Sleeve Set

Amazon Short Sleeve Set

Skims Hotel Button Up

‘Mary Poppins’ Tote Bag

Mums are known for always having a million things to carry. The random items you may find in the nooks and crannies of her room and car are always a great surprise.

A great gift to give her this Christmas would be one bag to store all these items of hers. As made famous in the 1964 Mary Poppins movie, this bag (I am sure), will be bottomless with magical and mystical items coming out of it all day long. 

Lulu Lemon

Tory Burch

LL Bean

Target

Homemade

One of the easiest and most sentimental gifts you can do for your mother is to make her something this Christmas. (It’s also the most budget-friendly!) Homemade gifts do not always have to be sock puppets! There are so many different options to do for these such as:

• Photo Album 
  • Mixtape 
  • Photo Calendar for the Year 
  • A handwritten letter 
  • A home-cooked dinner 
  • An at-home spa day 
  • A baked good
  • A video edit of the year/some favorite times you’ve had together 

As well as these there are so many Christmas theme craft options online you can pick and do for your mother. This could also create a fun activity for you and your siblings or friends!

As the season fast approaches, the most important thing you can do for your mum this year is make her feel loved and appreciated. Anything you think will make her feel special will mean so much to her. After all, we wouldn’t be here without our mothers!

Hi! My name is Francesca, I am a second year at UCSB. I am originally from England but have moved to California for college. I love living in SB and being able to live out my California girl dream!