This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you’ve found yourself on the witch side of Tik-Tok, stayed up late reading fanfiction on Wattpad, or have convinced your friends to download Co-Star, then you might have come across a phenomenon called twin flames. Similar to soulmates, twin flames are when the soul instead splits in two and finds hosts in a male and a female, who then reunite later at a critical time in their life. Celebrity couple Megan Fox and Machine Gun Kelly call themselves twin flames, but the concept is also known as mirror souls, so the connection can be romantic or platonic. A person may have many soulmates throughout their life, but only one twin flame.

I would have never guessed I would meet mine or even believed that such a strong bond between two people was possible until I met my now best friend. We found each other almost a year ago when campus shut down and transitioned to remote classes. I instantly clicked with a guy in my Zoom class on Shakespeare, and we were then cast as Beatrice and Benedick together in the play Much Ado About Nothing. We became close so quickly that it was almost scary; we can finish each other’s sentences and know what the other is thinking without saying anything.

We’ve had many conversations trying to figure out what exactly draws us together and makes us so similar. From both having received the same first Christmas present as infants, a plush Boobah from the tv show, to simply being able to tell when something is going on with the other. The only explanation that makes sense to us is that he is my twin flame. It makes me laugh knowing that someone or something in the universe split our souls and decided the best hosts were a 5’4 Black girl and a 6’4 white boy, brought together at the most polarizing and isolating time in modern history.

I do want to say that I am not Wiccan, and I was raised in and accept my own faith as Christianity. Nevertheless, I feel a strong connection to elements of nature, doing my best writing at Sunset Cliffs or in the late hours of the night where the sky matches fairytale descriptions. I’ve flirted with spiritual practices such as manifestation and reality shifting. I can even do phrenological profiles on friends, a talent I picked up from an honors class called Reading the Victorian Mind.

I’ve found that where I should be writing things off as coincidence, I instead have felt an awakening of my power and purpose on this Earth. I have this sense of belonging— to the crystals on my nightstand, to my soul, to the universe— that is best explored through creative expressions such as writing, meditation, and dance. In my search to learn more about my spirituality, I came across readings on twin flames and instantly texted everything I could find to my best friend so we could finally make sense of our friendship together.

The best article I found explaining the connection between mirror souls is this one, which talks about the law of attraction and the symptoms and stages of a twin flame partner. I wanted to offer up a bit of my experience to help guide you with 3 signs that you might have found your mirror soul, too.

Something brings you together unexpectedly and suddenly.

For me, this happened when the pandemic first hit. Neither of us had met prior to Covid, and we both had wanted to drop the Shakespeare performance class in light of it being remote. We ended up staying enrolled anyway and developed our friendship from there. When we talked last night, he actually reminded me that I started it by sliding into his Insta DMs. Girl Boss, I guess? Our friendship was entirely online for the first 6 months, meeting in person for the first time on my birthday in August, and I did not move back to I.V. until January. It’s hard to believe that someone so special to me existed only in a box on Zoom for so long, and it sometimes still feels too good to be true. But if I’ve learned anything from the Percy Jackson we’re all living through right now (the pandemic), it’s that love, in all its forms, knows no race, gender, size, or distance. The people who are meant to love us will find us when we need them to.

You feel like you can be your true self around them.

You might find yourself having all the same interests, sense of humor, or even having the same memories from childhood despite living lives apart from each other. Your personalities are similar, to begin with, but continue to grow from each other as you adopt things they say or other isms they do as you spend more time together. That friend who feels like family and gets you like nobody else does? They may be your twin flame.

Everything is just easier with them.

For a year, I’ve desperately tried to find the words to describe what it’s like having this person who mirrors almost every sense of myself, and I still don’t know where to begin. I’ve sat here staring at a blinking cursor while typing this article for hours and can’t find a way to transcribe my feelings. As a writer and an actor, it’s not only frustrating but terrifying not having the words to tell a story for once. All I know is that everything is just easier with them in my life. I don’t know if I have God, or the universe, or some top-secret government experiment to thank for it. But I will be grateful for this person every day of my life, and I hope that everyone experiences a joy this strong with another human in their lifetime.

Jordan Marie Finley is a 19 year old performer and writer from San Diego, California. She is a proud Black woman and Slytherin currently pursuing degrees in the CCS Writing and Literature and BFA Acting programs at UCSB. Jordan has written two plays that have received productions: Feliz Cumpleaños (California Playwrights Project) and Why We March (UC Santa Barbara). Notable achievements include being a UCSB Promise Scholar, as well as being featured on Michelle Obama's personal Instagram. In addition to being a playwright and actor, Jordan is also a poet, and branching out into journalism. Jordan was on the staff for WORD Magazine in Spring 2020, and is excited to continue exploring journalism and creative nonfiction through her editorial internship with HerCampus.