What the Heck is Yerba Mate?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Since the start of Fall quarter, there has been a huge influx of students sporting bright yellow cans and bottles around campus. What are they drinking and why is it so popular?

Yerba Mate is a caffeinated plant found in South America. Traditionally, it is infused into a hot beverage that is shared amongst friends in countries like Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil. It is drinken from a gourd shaped bowl through a metal straw. After you take a few sips you refill the container and pass it to the next person.

In the past few decades, brands have brought yerba mate to the United States in the form of an energy drink. Guayaki, the brand behind the yellow cans, doesn’t just want to make a profit, but they also strive to revolutionize global development throughout the distribution process.

Here’s 6 reasons you should try Guayaki Yerba Mate:

1. It was started right here on the Central Coast

A group of college guys who loved the traditional drink came up with a way to integrate it into Californian culture and beyond.

2.  It’s fair trade

That means there is no slave labor or child labor involved in the supply chain. It also means that the farmers who harvest the mate are paid a fair, livable wage within their communities.

3. Environmental Sustainability

Not only is Guayaki a socially sustainable company, but they also strive to not be wasteful. Their ultimate goal is to restore 200,000 acres of Amazon.

4. It’s caffeine

On the side of each product there is a ranking of how much caffeine it has – most cans typically have 150 MG, which is equivalent to a Monster Energy Drink, while the bottles have 140 MG or below. 

5. They are delicious!

They have a variety of flavors that range from Enlighten Mint to Peach Terere to a Lime Tangerine flavored energy shot. 

6. They’re currently 2 for $4 at the Arbor

Go get one, you deserve it. 

Hey I'm Sydney. 4th year Global Studies Major with a Minor in French. I love human rights, playing lacrosse and eating burritos.
Kirby is a recent graduate from UCSB currently living in Los Angeles. As a proud Her Campus UCSB alum, she's happy to be back on the HC team covering one of her fave shows: "The Mindy Project." On any given day you can find her with her nose in a book (let's be real - it's a Kindle). In her free time, she likes petting dogs, binge-watching TV, and eating a lot of food. Find her on Instagram: @kirbynicoleb or @GirlBossEats.