Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What To Do On V-Day If You Are Not Loved Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Don’t worry, I get it. I have spent many Valentine’s Days alone under a pile of blankets aggressively sobbing at The Notebook, acting like I was not even remotely bitter that the most attention I would get on February 14th would be from my stomach eventually rejecting the Ben and Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream. This is partly because I decided it would pair perfectly with Hot Cheetos but mostly because I am lactose-intolerant. (Overshare? Probably.) 

And unfortunately due to consumerism and the fact that Valentine’s Day is actually kind of cute, despite how bitter single people might be, this absurd holiday is not going anywhere anytime time soon. So instead of spending V-Day being mad at all the guys or gals that have yet to fall in love with you, mainly because most of them do not know you exist (sorry honey, maybe Harry Styles will come around one day), here are some ideas for what you can do on V-Day if you are not loved-up. 

Practice Self-Love: If V-Day is meant to celebrate love then why not practice the most important kind, self-love. One does not find love until they love themself. It’s a cliche because it’s true. So this V-Day take a moment to appreciate yourself. Attend a yoga or meditation class to find some grounding and practice gratitude. Or, just take the day to try something that you have always wanted to try. This could be as simple as trying that aesthetically pleasing coffee shop or taking a weekend trip to a new town close by. 

LOVE spelled out with scrabble letter tiles
Pixabay / Pexels

Show Love to Those Who You Care About: Now if you have been itching to make one of the many cute crafts that have been pinned to your “In Love” Pinterest board for the past five years but do not have a significant other to gift it to, make them for your friends. Who doesn’t love a jar of popsicle sticks with fun things to do or a deck of cards with reasons why you love them? You might not be in love but that does not mean you are not loved or do not have love to give. 

girl and friends posing
Photo by Adrienn from Pexels

Galentine’s Party: Finally, if you are trying to indulge in some sweet treats this V-Day but have realized it is not socially acceptable to finish and entire heart-shaped chocolate box alone, invite some of your girls over for a Galentine’s Day Party! Break out the array of cheeses and make the world’s most Instagram-able charcuterie board. Don’t forget your on-theme Rose (if you are 21) and your favorite soppy chick-flick. With minimal effort and maximum calorie intake, you have got yourself in for the night of a lifetime. 

Rosè and a Happy Galentine\'s Day card
Uby Yanes

So, you no longer have to be salty this Valentine’s Day because the love is always flowing, even if it just platonic. And if you ask me, there is nothing that I love more than a night with my girls and eating my weight in chocolate-covered strawberries.  

Annabel is a 4th-year Communication and Global Studies double major at UC Santa Barbara. She writes relationship and fashion articles for Her Campus and works as a fashion and lifestyle writer for Naked Wardrobe, a Los Angeles-based clothing company. She would describe her writing as a mix of aggressive sarcasm and attempted humorous anecdotes.