This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Let’s admit that while the quarter system has its pros, it definitely has its cons, too. Not only is California going through a rough winter, with the rain making us all feel like that one Bella Swan montage scene in Twilight, but motivation has been on a decline (at least for me and my friends).

If we’re not naturally motivated to trudge through chem labs and never-ending essays, it’s time to live vicariously through some inspirational YouTubers that personally compel me to attempt to lead the lifestyle of a twenty-year-old whose life is enviably put together.

Moya Mawhinney

I cannot express my love for Moya enough; her content feels like a warm hug through a screen. I discovered her series involving her college life at Trinity College called the “Dublin Diaries” and became an instant subscriber. Since then, she’s shared travel-focused vlogs and her new daily life living in Paris, which has clearly brought in more interest as seen by her steadily growing following.

She regularly includes her intellectual insight and perspective of the world, and how she prioritizes self-care to boost mental health. Her passion for arts and literature has inspired students within the same field, and every video appeals cinematically to the eye. Oh, and her Irish accent only makes her more enjoyable to listen to!

My personal favorite video of hers is a simple “Day In the Life In Paris” (but I might be a tad biased due to my obsession with the city!).

Christy Anne Jones

As an English major, I simply had to include Christy on this list. Not only is Christy a published author, but she also creates book-related content such as reviews and recommendations. I’m always looking for something new to read, and hearing her opinions and perspectives is a breath of fresh air. In fact, many of my favorite books that I read in 2023 came from her suggestions in her videos!

She’s pretty inspirational when it comes to her writing, but not in a way that scares you to be more “productive,” whatever that means to you. I usually visit her channel when life becomes overwhelming and noisy because it’s the perfect distraction that often leaves me feeling recharged and ready to tackle my academic challenges.

I adore her series where she tries other authors’ writing routines that include those of Donna Tartt, Neil Gaiman, Octavia Butler, and more! It’s a step up from a regular vlog in the sense that it mimics a challenge-esque goal, but still incorporates the cozy aspects of her life.

Dustin Vuong

I could write an essay about Dustin, but for now, a dedication within this article will have to do. For me, Dustin is the definition of “coming of age.” His content gives us insight into his mind, and I believe that he is the relatable voice if you’re a hopeless romantic like me. I love his vlogs, but he creates a range of content from video essays to original songs he’s written to aesthetic mini movies.

What I enjoy about Dustin’s channel is that it truly feels like you’re catching up with an old friend. Call it slightly parasocial, but I can totally imagine myself being besties with Dustin because of how open and honest he is in his videos. Not only that, the level of aesthetics on his channel is next level.

It’s really tough to pick a favorite video, but one that I keep coming back to is his vlog titled “I Took Myself On A Date Since No One Else Would.” It’s an older one, but there’s something so earnest and powerful in how he speaks on his views about dating and romance in our generation.

Eva Meloche

Eva’s life is a satisfying watch. Her creativity in her filming and editing makes for enjoyable vlogs that encourage you to appreciate the beauty in your own life. I shamelessly live vicariously through her simply thanks to her warm, welcoming attitude.

It’s easy to feel intimidated by the unrealistic vlogs flooding YouTube, where people’s lives are glamorized with only the good parts shown, but with Eva, I feel as though she truly romanticizes every aspect of her life, even the small, what some would consider less significant things. She’s grateful for everything around her, and that reflects in her creative decisions with her content. Also, her balance between study and social is, to me, so charming to see because you can tell that she treats both with attentive care.

As much as I adore watching her hometown life in Montreal, I find myself often rewatching her Europe Chronicles to see those stunning shots of beautiful European cities.

Leah’s Fieldnotes

I am convinced that Leah can read minds. Her content is so engaging to the point where I wonder how she’s able to check every box of entertainment, educational content, and aestheticism. Honestly, if she were to release a 30-minute video of her personal review of different cheeses, I just know that it would be captivating. She’s the type of person that you could listen to endlessly thanks to her unique and intellectual perspective.

What I think makes her stand out as a YouTuber is her creative eye combined with her ability to be honest. She knows and trusts her audience, as seen through her series called “Navigating a Breakup,” in which she shared raw and real emotions and thoughts after her long-term relationship came to an end. I would argue that it’s easy to be superficial for a camera and set unrealistic expectations for your audience, so it’s even more impressive that Leah has helped me with the slower aspects of my life regarding my mental health through self-care. It’s an admirable trait that encourages you to lead your own life with gratitude.

It’s a tough choice, but my personal favorite series of hers is the “Sleepover Series,” in which she shares a glimpse into sleepovers with her real friends who you can tell hold a genuine connection with her.

Damon Dominique

I honestly wish I could be friends with Damon. His personality is contagiously pleasant, from his witty humor to his experienced stories. I’m particularly inspired by his talent of learning five languages (while I struggle to learn my second!) and traveling the world. There’s been many times where I’ve gone into one of his videos without knowing the culture or experiences of a specific location, and leaving it having not only been entertained, but educated too. If you’re at all interested in studying abroad during college, I would highly recommend his videos.

Damon’s cinematography within his videos deserve its own article, if I’m honest, because it is so glaringly clear that he puts intentional thought behind every shot, every graphic, even every thumbnail! His creative style shines through his channel, which highlights the intense care and love he has for his YouTube career.

I have watched every single video by Damon (I’m being so real), and it’s too difficult to name a favorite. However, as a starting point, I highly recommend his Around the World mini-documentaries simply based on the fact that they are perfectly crafted. Oh, and I must mention his Red Wine Talks; they are a source of great guilty comfort for me.

Leandra Yomo

When I think of “girl-boss,” I think of Leandra. Her NYC BigLaw Summer Diaries are so engaging and inspirational that I briefly considered switching life paths entirely to be a lawyer just because of Leandra’s influence! There is something so satisfying in seeing her achieve her goals since she started making videos because it feels like we’re watching her bloom into young adulthood, and she has, without a doubt, worked incredibly hard.

I encouraged (forced) one of friends to watch some of her videos since she, too, is on the lawyer-track, and she recently told me that it was one of my greatest recommendations to her (and I pride myself on shoving great content and media to my friends) because she felt inspired to see a woman similar in age accomplish real, tangible ambitions yet still have a healthy balance with her social and self-care categories in life. She’s also still embracing parts of her femininity that have been previously labelled as unprofessional in generations before us; she is part of this new wave of redefining the “working woman” and what she is and isn’t allowed to do according to society.

My favorite video of hers is an episode of her Law School Diaries, in which she celebrates Friendsgiving, shares her experience in therapy, and gave us a glimpse into her workload for law school.

Instead of cramming and forcing yourself to study, browsing some of the videos of these YouTubers might just be the answer to bringing back a wave of inspiration that will drive you all the way to spring break.

Alice is a freshman at UCSB studying English and French. Originally from England, she moved to California five years ago and loves her new home! When offline, she enjoys reading on the beach, devouring sushi, and singing poorly with friends on karaoke nights.