freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

This Valentine’s Day, Choose to Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Like most holidays, Valentine’s Day prompts you to think about that special someone. To shower him or her with roses, chocolate and giant teddy bears. Spreading the love is great. You should definitely take time out of your day to show your significant other how much you care (which applies to any other day too, btw). But in the spirit of it all, we often forget about ourselves—don’t.

Especially for those of us who are single, Valentine’s Day can sometimes feel like a slap in the face. We are reminded that we don’t have a “better half” or “soulmate.” And while one’s belief in either one of these embodiments of love is completely subjective, it’s easy to feel unfulfilled when events like Valentine’s Day give the impression that you need to be the other half of someone’s whole to attain true happiness. But that’s not the case. 

Regardless of whether you’re happily single or in a thriving relationship, you are perfectly complete on your own. I think we often overlook this during a relationship and even when we’re not in one. Romantic Comedies, a popular movie choice on Valentine’s Day, frequently feature a girl seeking her prince charming. Meanwhile, she wallows in self-pity because she hasn’t found him yet. And if she’s not searching for him, she’s trying to convince herself she doesn’t need to because as pop culture so eloquently puts it: “she’s a strong independent woman who don’t need no man.” *z-snap*

Which is absolutely true! And you shouldn’t have to convince yourself of that, because you are. You are an intelligent, accomplished and perfectly functional human being all on your own. You are an asset to those around you, but more importantly, you are an asset to yourself. By all means, choose to love your friends, significant other or even your dog this Valentine’s Day! But don’t forget to love yourself too. 

Naomi is a fourth-year, English major and Multimedia Writing minor at UCSB. She is originally from the LA area, but aspires to someday make it in New York as a web content writer. Cats, green tea and British accents are slight obsessions of hers.
Kristine is a 3rd year Chemistry major at UC Santa Barbara. She was born and raised in San Francisco, CA. When she's not writing, she works with her sister to create adorable baked delicacies for The Royal Icing, their at-home bakery. She's also a ballerina, lipstick enthusiast, and bunny lover. Post-graduation, she plans on going to graduate school while continuing her writing career. Catch her on instagram @CookiesForKay