Urban Dictionary for Freshmen at UCSB

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

If you’re anything like me as a freshman, coming to UCSB was a shock.  Not only because I was in an entirely new environment, but because there was a completely new lingo that had to be developed in order avoid the line, “Oh, you must be a freshman…” at every social gathering I attended.  The ladies of HerCampus thought it’d be helpful to provide all the incoming Freshmen a UCSB dictionary to help dodge any potentially awkward conversations with upperclassmen.

FT: Francisco Torrez, renamed Santa Catalina after being referred to as the F@#$ Towers for one too many years- these are the off-campus dorms that house roughly one third of the Freshman Class.
DP: Del Playa- the street at the end of IV, closest to the ocean.  During the day, you can find skateboarders, football players, and girls tanning with mixed drinks. During the night, you can find wandering SBCC students, party-goers, and couch burning. Watch out where you decide to park your car if you’re living near this infamous street; lately car owners have complained about spray painted doors, kicked-off mirrors, and keying from rambunctious partiers.
Freebirds: Infamous Mexican Restaurant.  Similar to Chipotle, except much better, and far more expensive.  If you haven’t tried it, you’re not a true Gaucho.  You can find this restaurant jam-packed during the peak hours of the drunk munchies, and it’s nearly impossible to eat here during party-holidays, especially Halloween.
Pardall: One of the main streets in IV, and often the busiest during passing periods.  This cross-street kiddy corners Subway, Freebirds, Starbucks, and many other restaurants. Watch out for cross traffic when you’re coming from a perpendicular street though; there’s no stop sign for bikers or drivers on Pardall at the intersection. 

Campbell Hall:  The largest lecture hall on campus.  Most commonly used for General Ed classes, such as Human Sexuality, Psychology 1, and other freshman-dominated lectures.  During the weekends, Campbell Hall holds many guest speakers, extra credit events, and other performances for UCSB and the surrounding community.
Davidson: Short for Davidson Library, this is UCSB’s main study drag.  Probably one of the only libraries in which you can see the ocean from the top floors, Davidson adds a bit of enjoyment to the stuDYING experience.  If you’re cramming for a midterm, the fourth floor is not the place to go, as it is known as one of the more social floors of the building.
The Arbor: The on-campus store, located near Davidson Library.  Here, students can grab a Subway sandwich, Woodstock’s pizza, coffee, or any other study snacks necessary to make it through midterms and finals.
Blue Books and Scantrons: Test taking materials.  These can be purchased at any text book store in IV, the Arbor, U-Cen, or anywhere else where school supplies are sold.
UCSB Bookstore: Much like any college book store, this is the best place to find UCSB apparel. Ranging from baby bibs to license plate covers, this store is packed with eager freshmen in the beginning weeks of each school year.  UCSB Text Books are located at the bottom floor of the Bookstore.
U-Cen: Short for University Center, this building has restaurants, school supplies, study areas, and conference rooms.  Overlooking the lagoon, the gorgeous view of the U-Cen makes it a nice place to take breaks between classes, or grab lunch with a friend.
Rec-Cen:  Short for Recreational Center, this is UCSB’s fitness center.  During the weeks leading up to Halloween and swim suit season, you can find the gym packed with meat heads and sorority girls hoping to complete their daily GTL.
SRB: Student Resource Building- another great yet underrated study area in Santa Barbara.  Here, students can find CLAS (Campus Learning Assistant Services) Classes, Multi-Cultural Areas, Campus Maps, and many other useful tools for enhancing their college experience.
DLG:  Also known as De La Guerra, this dining common is known for it’s wide variety of cuisine, as well as it’s mention in one Jack Johnson’s most famous songs.  Looking more like a high-end restaurant than a Freshman dining hall, the DLG is packed during peak lunch and dinner hours. 
Carrillo:  Although not as talked-about as the DLG, Carrillo serves as the dining commons for Manzanita residents.  A bit underrated in the opinion of many UCSB residents, Carrillo serves as a reputable alternative to the DLG.