jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Unpopular Opinion: Winter is the Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s week three of winter quarter here at UCSB and I’ve got to say, I’m not loving it. I’m not entirely sure what’s wrong. My classes aren’t hard (yet). I’m not swamped with work or anything. I’ve even been going to the gym for chrissakes! Yet, something about being here just doesn’t feel right. After talking to some friends, I learned that I wasn’t alone. We’re all experiencing some sort of discontent with this quarter. Why are we in this funk? What is it that’s making this quarter so much worse than fall quarter? After thinking about the root of the problem, it dawned on me: fall quarter was better because it was in fall. Winter quarter sucks because: Winter. Frickin. Sucks.

Image via Giphy

Yes, winter has Hanukkah, Christmas, New Year’s Eve, and all of that, but after the holiday season, what do we have? Shorter days, freezing cold weather, and rain? Thanks, but no thanks.

Image via Giphy

Now, I know that may have been hard for some of you to hear, but just hear me out. I realize some of you (inexplicably) love the winter, but as someone who can’t wear layers for the life of her and would rather off her own head than wear a turtleneck, dealing with the woes of winter weather is less than optimum. Furthermore, as someone who’s most productive during daylight hours, when it gets dark at 5 P.M. everyday it feels like there’s not enough time in the day to get things done. When I get out of my last class and see that the sun is already setting, it makes it nearly impossible for me to continue about my day. My body sees the lack of sunlight as time to begin winding down, but since it’s too early to actually quit for the day I keep on keepin’ on and find myself like this for the next five or six hours before I can actually turn in for the night:

Image via Giphy

I know, I know, this all sounds like a “me” problem and I guess it is. But I can’t help but complain. Winter makes me cranky! If you’re one of the people who love winter, good for you! More power to ya! But if you’re suffering from Winteritis like me, stay strong. We’ve got two more months until we’re home free! Image via Giphy

Enaiya is a first year Communication major at UC Santa Barbara. She loves heated discussions on current issues, dancing, and binge-watching cheesy teen dramas. When she isn't in class, you can find her scrolling through Twitter or out actively searching for the best iced coffee in town. Keep up with her on Twitter and Instagram @enaiyawhoa
Adar Levy

UCSB '19

Adar is a fourth-year student at UC Santa Barbara, studying Sociology. She is an avid creative writer, podcast listener, music enthusiast, and foodie. Loving everything from fashion and lifestyle to women's empowerment, she hopes to work for a major women's publication one day. See what Adar is up to on Instagram @adarbear.