Life > Academics

UCSB Summer School Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

It’s spring quarter, and as we patiently wait for UCSB to go from foggy to blue skies and sunshine, nothing can prevent the impending doom of summer school. Despite just entering into the spring quarter, summer registration has already commenced for us UCSB babes. Here is my personal survival guide to all things summer school at UCSB, from housing and financial aid to the possibility of studying at a sister UC!

HOUSING

If you know anything about UCSB, it’s that housing isn’t cheap, and finding affordable options is a scarcity. The summer housing application opened on April 3rd, so start the app if you haven’t already! On the same application page, you’re able to view the various rates for apartments based on the bedroom and amount of beds per room, which is a crucial resource for financial planning.

If you don’t want to go the university housing route, the Isla Vista community right next to UCSB often has a decent amount of subleasing options in the summer since students in year-long leases sometimes prefer to spend the sunny summer days elsewhere. 

This can also be an affordable option, but like all housing for UCSB students, the sooner you begin looking for a sublease, the better. One of the best resources I’ve found is joining the Facebook groups associated with housing for UCSB/Isla Vista; a handful I’ve found useful are UCSB Housing Search, UCSB Housing, and IV Housing for UCSB Students.

UCSB’s University & Community Housing Services also provides a website for students with rental listings and other resources students can utilize here.

FINANCIAL AID

UCSB’s Financial Aid and Scholarship office will begin awarding summer aid in late May, but students’ summer financial aid estimates were available in late April, according to a financial advisor I met with. In the meantime, you can use the Summer Financial Aid Estimator located on the UCSB Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships website, the same website you would use to view your award letter.

Here are some key facts you should know about financial aid:

1. If you receive scholarships and/or grants, many of them will have a conditional number of units you must be enrolled in to receive your full award amount.

2. Undergrad students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 units (across all sessions/total) to be eligible for summer aid.

3. There is a Summer Access Grant that eligible UCSB students can apply for to help offset the costs of summer tuition. You must be UCSB scholarship eligible, California Resident or AB540 Eligible, and enrolled in 12 or more units total for the summer. The application opened on May 1st, so check it out as soon as you can!

Luckily, UCSB announced a 10-unit undergrad fee cap for this upcoming summer, meaning that all units you enroll in after 10 units will not create extra charges. So whether you enroll in 21 units or 10 units, the price will be the same.

WingingItMoney?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

ATTEND ANOTHER UC

During the summer, UC students have the ability to study at another UC where their financial aid will apply. For UCSB students, the UC Cross Campus Application opened on April 10th. Through this process, you provide the campus and units you intend to enroll in, and your aid will be sent to your BARC as it usually is when enrolling in UCSB classes. However, be aware that each UC campus has different application windows and processes for other UC students to follow when enrolling in courses at their campus. You can familiarize yourself with this link here.

PLAN AHEAD

Summer will be here before we know it. Now is a great time to take advantage of summer courses to help you achieve your degree faster, or present the opportunity to study something you normally don’t have the time for. Especially with the new unit cap at UCSB, it’s never been more beneficial to enroll in a handful of classes in the summer. Or, see if you can study at another UC and not only further your education but enjoy a new experience!

This is my personal survival guide, but talking to an academic and financial advisor is always the best way to figure out what’s right for you. Just know, there are options and possibilities out there for you to explore!

Kristi is a third-year at UCSB studying sociology and history with a minor in feminist studies. In her spare time, you can find her trying to revive her peace lily, looking at photos of her dog, or watching benjiplant.