UCSB: Fact vs. Fiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

Every college has its reputation, and UCSB is no exception. This can be a deciding factor for many when it comes to choosing which school to attend in the fall. But whether you’re a prospective student or a current Gaucho, here are a few brag-worthy facts to note and bizarre rumors to reject.

1. FACT: UCSB is ranked number 10 among all public universities in the U.S.

You’ve probably already heard about this, and that’s because we’re extremely proud of our academic excellence. One thing’s for sure: UCSB will provide you with a quality education that’ll benefit you right after graduation and far beyond.

2. FICTION: All UCSB students ever do is party.

“You go to UCSB? Isn’t that a party school?” Gee, I haven’t heard that one before. Sure, UCSB students like to party as much as any other college students, but we’re smart about it and understand that academics come first. You’ll also find plenty of students who prefer alternative activities to a night out in Isla Vista. Think about it, if UCSB students spent all of their free time binge drinking on DP instead of studying in Davidson, how could number 1 be true?

3. FACT: UCSB’s current faculty includes 6 Nobel laureates.

With such notable faculty members making groundbreaking contributions to chemistry, physics, and economics, it’s no wonder our school was named the number 2 research university in the world in 2013.   

4. FICTION: We don’t have a football team, so we don’t have any school spirit.

This is far from the truth – the atmosphere at Harder Stadium during a soccer game against our Cal Poly rivals couldn’t be more exciting! We’re proud Gauchos, and we prove this with our tortilla tosses and constant “olé” chants when cheering on our Division I team.

3. FACT: UCSB is the greenest public university in the U.S.

All you have to do is step onto our campus to see our many environmental initiatives in action – we’ve got plenty of solar panels, 10 miles of bike paths, and even a certified farmers market! In addition, we’re dedicated to putting sustainable practices into play regarding our water supply and food preparation.

4. FICTION: Isla Vista residents account for 1% of the alcohol consumption in the U.S.

Obviously this is an unrealistic statistic about our college community. Whoever spread this rumor needs to do some serious recalculations (or just take a math class offered by one of our renowned professors).

5. FACT: Our dorms have views that make the school year feel like a vacation.

From the palm-tree lined pool at Santa Catalina to the breathtaking Pacific right outside of Anacapa, it’s clear that the rooms of our residence halls have postcard-worthy views not typical of your standard college dorm.

6. FICTION: UCSB has one of the highest STD rates out of every college in the U.S.

Again, this ridiculous rumor is completely inaccurate. In fact, according to surveys, we’re actually below the national average.

7. FACT: We get to enjoy an average of 300 days of sunshine per year.

This pretty much translates to beach day everyday. Santa Barbara offers tons of options for outdoor activities, and more days of sunshine means more time for enjoying them! Our coastal climate is yet another factor that makes studying here a dream for many.

8. FICTION: Only blonde, tan, and beautiful people go to UCSB, and you won’t fit in if you don’t fall under that category.

While you do come across plenty of surfer-esque scholars at UCSB, our campus is definitely not exclusive to just one type of student. People from a wide variety of backgrounds come to our unique university to study, and our campus’s diversity is increasing each and every year. In addition, we strive to promote equality and inclusion through numerous resources and organizations.

9. FACT: You’ll have the greatest 4 years of your life here.

OK, so this might be more of an opinion than a fact, but most students agree that UCSB is nothing short of paradise. With its outstanding academics, vibrant social scene, and endless opportunities for personal growth, attending UCSB is one of the best decisions you can make.

Melissa Doran