Culture > News

The UCSB Black Lives Matter Movement: A conversation with demonstration organizer Mikey Sanders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCSB chapter.

“It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept and celebrate those differences” – Audre Lorde

On Friday, June 5th, I had the pleasure of joining Mikey Sanders, UC Santa Barbara Senior, at Woodstock’s on a chilly Isla Vista evening to discuss the current Black Lives Matter uprising and its presence within the UCSB community. Sanders was the main organizer behind the demonstration that occurred on May 30th, where hundreds of students protested from the iconic Storke Tower to Sands Beach. Along the way, the number of marchers grew exponentially, as IV residents joined in after hearing the cries of “no justice no peace, prosecute the police” that replaced the sound of the EDM music that typically reverberates from Del Playa homes.

The Black Lives Matter movement was officially founded in 2013 as a revolt against police brutality towards African Americans. However, that only highlights an inch of the injustice Black people face in America as victims of systemic racism. After a video was released exposing police suffocating George Floyd while arresting him for allegedly using a counterfeit $20 bill, protests sparked all over the world. Unfortunately, this was not an isolated incident, but the inhumanity of these cops being caught on camera signaled to any decent human being that this needs to stop.

During the demonstration on the 30th, students and speakers honored George Floyd, Breona Taylor, Eric Garner, and sadly, a countless list of other unarmed Black victims of police brutality. This was the first of the many events that have since followed in the fight for justice. Despite Chancellor Yang’s e-mail, the school has taken little action to aid its Black community, as these events have been completely student-led and organized. Mikey Sanders, a history major, got the idea to organize the protest after hearing silence from the school community. He tweeted the time and location and admits he was surprised and humbled at the turnout.

UCSB is hardly a model of diversity, with only 5% Black students.  Sanders pointed out how important it is for this community to band together and that this is a time for allies to make a conscious effort to hear Black voices and join in solidarity and support. As allies, we must do so understanding that we are guests at their protests and are there to learn, unlearn and listen. When asked how a white person can best demonstrate their allyship, Sanders explained that we must educate ourselves, asserting that we must “stop relying on Black students to be the educators; that is emotional and intellectual labor.” Instead, he suggested taking a Black studies class with intent, or reading up on Black scholars such as Angela Davis and Kwame Tureto, to name a couple.

Sanders was passionate about highlighting the works of LGBTQ+ individuals and women within the Black community, describing them as the “backbone” of the movement. The main message he promoted was one of Black unity and inclusion. He emphasized that the narrative of the strong Black man needs to be updated with one that is inclusive of all Black people, explaining that “every Black person needs to know that they can be great and they have the support of the Black community!” 

UCSB is extremely fortunate to have a politically active student body and most importantly such strong, resilient Black leaders who are guiding us in the fight for justice and equality.

Born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Bea is a third year Global Studies & Feminist Studies student at UCSB. When she’s not busy with school or selling sandwiches at the local Deli, she enjoys spending time with friends and immersing herself in fun creative projects.
 University of California, Santa Barbara chapter of Her Campus